moving tank

killyah

ok im moving to a diffrent home and so will my tank. i know the best way to move a tank is bring as much water with u! but this is not practical for me. my tank is a 50 gallon and a 35 gallon. plus i also have two more 50 gallon fresh water tanks to move too. would 10-20 gallon of water do??? is there any other way to make this move a success? also i will be keepin my bio media in the water from the tank and same with the sand. and one more thing will it cycle again when i get it all set up? the move will only take a day,the tank will be set up that night.....

ckkihei

I would probably go to Home Depot and buy 5-6 5ga plastic water jugs. They don't cost much and it certainly is less than restocking fish that might die. IMO the more of your cycled water you use the less chance of a new cycle.

cwfish

The biggest thing you can do to have your tank function without a recycle when you set it back up again is to keep your bacteria alive. Keep all your bio-media, sand, rock and anything else wet and alive and you should be fine. Good Luck with the move.

ohscc

I moved my 55 gal saltwater tank about 4 months ago and used 4 20gal trash cans to store water, rock and sand. I moved the tank 15 miles or so. After I was done I returned the trash cans. Hope this helps.