Moving

waterbaby76

Im moving soon as was just wondering if anyone has advice about moving a 55gal, with some live rock, 2 fish, no corals yet, some shrimp, crabs, starfish and long spine sea urchin. THanks much! ;)

kimmisue

This is easy if you are traveling by car.
Put a majority of your water into buckets with lids (the day of the move).
Put your inverts and fish in with them.
In another bucket put your LR.
Now you should have a moveable 55 tank.
as soon as you get to your location reassemble and put the guys back in.
Hope this helps.
Kim

andymi

Try the local hardware store. You could even use inexpensive trash cans most likely. Just make sure you rinse them out before using them.
--Andy

salttrigger

When I moved(like two months ago) I did what i was toll,but i miss only one thing,I didnt think about the ammonia and nitrite peaks that the tank was going to have,this things wend so high and kill my fish so if Ill have to move one more time Ill take the fish to my lfs and ask if they can take care of them for a week (thats how long took me to bring this things down)
Good luck!and think about it before you do it.

kimmisue

I got my buckets from the local pet supply store.
They were selling them. 5 buck each
If you put your LR in one of the buckets of water you won't have to wrape it in newspaper.
Kim

Hey-I'm going through the same thing right now. I move in one week and have been preparing for it for a month now. WIth my 55 gallon tank it's gonna be tough to move. I have a 10 gallon mini that shouldn't be a problem at all. But here's what I'm doing. I went to a local store, like Ames, Kmart or something like that and bought those big plastic containers were people put clothes and stuff in them to stack in their basement or attic. They're kinda rectangular. They come with lids so the water won't splash. I bought a big 38 gallon one. I'm going to empty my water and fish in there and drive, lucky for me it's only a mile away, and set it back up right away. Shouldn't be a problem at all.
Just my 2 cents,
peace
doug

macedew

I just moved about 2 months ago, and it was a bit more difficult than it sounds. I have an extra 10 gallon that I put about 8 gallons of tank water in and some live rock along with all of the inverts, corals and 2 fish. I also got a big 38 gallon container for the water. Just remember on thing 38 gallons of water is not as easy to move as you think. Probably lost abou 5 gallons of water while driving to the new place.
Good luck with the move.

T

tiggerk27

When we have moved the 55 we used the large storage containers as said above to fill with water for the fish. In order to prevent a new cycle we took the water from the tank with us. We stocked up on 2 and 3 liter soda bottles from ours and our friends houses for the couple months ahead of time. They were rinsed with hot water and put into garbage bags to be stored until moving day.
First we filled the storage containers up and got the fish out. Then we filled the bottles. Took us about 20 minutes. Make sure you get a container that can hold your filter or a power head so that while you are filling the bottles and the tank back up they will have a more "normal" environment.
We haven't lost a fish with this method. We have had to do this three times with my brother in laws tank (today actually this time was only 10 miles though).
Hope it helps,
Kim