moving

b

I am getting set to move. Yikes!! All I have in my tank at the moment is a Arrowhead Crab, a Royal Grammas and a Six line Wrasse and live rock.
Should I take them to a fish store and get whatever they will offer to me? How difficult is this to move? Is it worth the trouble? Any tricks?
Thankx for your thoughts

jess

You can make this move very easy and pain free, with some plaining. Do you want to keep your fish? If not just take them to the LFS. But if you do heres what you can do, I am planing to do this when I move.
After you have moved everything else move your tank. First, do i 25% water change. This makes 25% of the water that you dobt need to worry about. Now since you don't want to get rid to your cycled water, put the rest of it into buckets, with lids. That way when you set you tank up again, you can just dump the water back in the tank. Now put a fishes in different buckets. As for the live rock, that can stay out of water up to 24 hours, no long. So just put the rock in the box.
Leave your gravel bed in the tank with about 1 inch of water and you can just get a couple of people to help you carry it.
When your setting up again just dump the water back in the tank and set the heaters up. After the temp has been set you can put the fish in a bag and float them for 15 mins. Now just add your new water from the water change. Its easyier then it sounds. I already did it once and my fish were a little stressed, but its the only prob. Hope that helps

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I don't know about leaving substrate unfiltered for very long....Also, I think this plan works only if you are moving within the same city / town...it won't work if you're moving cross country! Also, live rock needs a bit more than just sitting in a box for 24 hrs. I'd suggest misting it with salt water, and perhaps covering it with wet paper towels.

kris

If your move isn't to far away and you are particularly attached to these fish go with plan mentioned above except I don't think you need to save the water. I simply left the substrata in the bottom and moved my filters with the water in them this will be good enough, providing you can do this within 4-5 hrs. If you can't, get rid of them cause this is a big pain in the ...(in case moving ins't enough of a pain already.!)