MR. SALTY, someone, please help with my sumps?

heithingi

Hello,
I am having problems with my sumps, although I think I finally got the CPR 192 fixed...but my other, a CPR 194, is really becoming a problem!
It is in a 120 gallon, 48x30x18, set up aggressive with about 120+ pounds live rock, and a 100 pound live sand bed. The sump pump is a 3100 RIO. The problem that I am having is my water level is way too high, causing condensation to leak on the outside of the tank. In the sump, my pump is barely covered with water, and if I try to take water out of the tank, the pump goes dry. Plus, I really need my water level lower as #1, I have an eel, and #2, some of my equipment, i.e. heater and wave maker, are unable to be totally submersed. #3, my hood is continually wet, and I am scared I am going to shock myself and the fish with the lights!
What I THINK is the problem, and please, bear with me as I do not have one mechanical or technical bone in my body, is that the pump is working faster than the overflow. My overflow box is fairly shallow, with small slits for the water, not long and deep ones like in my other sump overflow. My first ideas are to either get a bigger overflow box with deeper slashes to help the water flow, and also to get a bigger siphon tube. The one I am using, in both tanks, is about a inch in diameter (guessing). I had thought about getting a less strong of pump, but then I worry I would not be filtering the water properly. Do any of you have any ideas?
Thanks!
Lynda

anynamewilldo

I am in the process of building a wet/dry and I was told that I must put a tee on the return flow (back into the sump) with a valve on the end of it. This way you can adjust the flow back into your tank. (with anything else redirected back into the sump)
hope this helps...

mr . salty

Originally posted by anynamewilldo:
<STRONG>I am in the process of building a wet/dry and I was told that I must put a tee on the return flow (back into the sump) with a valve on the end of it. This way you can adjust the flow back into your tank. (with anything else redirected back into the sump)
hope this helps...</STRONG>
This idea will surly overflow the sump. Just put a valve on the return line. Nothing more. Best bet is to get a pump that is rated less than the overflow box. You allways want a higher rated flow coming out of the tank than what you have pumping back in.This will eliminate the balance problems.

jimi

If your pump is pressure rated a ball valve installed on your return line will easily fix the problem. You will be able to adjust the level in your sump no problem.

anynamewilldo

I much prefer just the valve, as I think that would be cheaper, easier, and quieter. I was warned that this method would put unneccesary backpressure on the pump and cause it to run hotter - and wear out. :eek: I have also seen a succesful tee'd off version - and it seemed to work just fine.

josh f

If the overflow was sending more to the sump than it was pumping out... would the sump not overflow?

mr . salty

The overflow will only feed the water into the sump as fast as the pump can put water into the tank.This is the "balance"But if the pump is too strong,Or the overflow is too small the pump will overpower the overflow.The pump will then overfill the tank,or drain the sump.Remember that the OVERFLOW must be BIGGER(higher flow rate) than the PUMP.
[ April 23, 2001: Message edited by: MR . SALTY ]

heithingi

Hi everyone!
Thanks so much!! We lowered the overflow box, plus attached a valve to the pump, and the problem is fixed!! :) You all are great!
Thanks again!
Lynda

lcc

I think the easier way of correcting this problem would have been to replace the 3100 with a 2500 and the balance would be natural. I believe if you check the flow rate to the 194 and the flow rate of the 3100 you would fine your problem. (if they are close that is why the sump is not balanced) More is not better all the time sometimes it is just more......which cause other problems.
I have a 192 on my hundred gal and the 2500 is too much even at about 3 feet. The 2100 worked out just fine.

badfishy

This is hilarious... hehe i had this same problem.. its that the overflow is to high... you should never put a valve on the return line... reason no mater how large its always going to lower your gph.. you need to always balance it on the inlet side not the outlet. The more circulation you have the better. To correct this problem all you would lower your overflow inside of your tank. If i where you i would remove the valve... its probally killing 30-80 gph just by being there.. (3/4th tubing assumed)

heithingi

Badfishy,
You are gonna laugh at me....but here it is. We were working on the tanks, I am having some serious ammonia problems with two of them, will not go there here...anyway, were looking over my overflow and sump. I kept on saying, ya know, if we could just get that box lowered, I bet that would solve the problem!! So, what do we do?
We spend ALL DAY putting a valve on the pump, had to go to the hardware store a few times ( we live in the country), had to find clamps, etc., etc.,.....so finally, we get done. Everything is working great!! Except...the overflow is still acting up. We took it off and lo and behold..it was on too high!! ROFL
So, we lowered it, waited a few days, took the valve off the pump...all is well. Do we feel silly or what? ROFL

M

missycoral

Badfishy you need to recheck your statement on a vavle on input, Yes it needs to be on output pump this will balance your flow rate in as well as out (IF) you reduce your flow rate in your pump going out will over power and keep pumping water into the tank with a reduce rate going to sump will CAUSE overflow, (and) can dry out sump at pump. Missy

jimi

Badfishy why would you say you never put a valve on the return line? You should always put one on the return line. It is an easy way to adjust your flow if your pump is pressure rated. Also should you have to change or clean your pump it saves you a mess with water. I dont quite under stand what you are talking about as far as lowering or raising the overflow box. This should do nothing other then lowering or raising the water level in your tank.