Mrs. Wages RECIPE

geoj

I use Kalk and you just mix with water as thick as can be made and still applied with pipette.

geoj

I use Kalk and you just mix with water as thick as can be made and still applied with pipette.

meowzer

NEVERMIND....I just did some reading on it...this is Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime....and also Kalkwasser...and this is what you do....
[*]
Calcium Hydroxide

Injecting aiptasia with calcium hydroxide (kalkwasser) in a concentrated solution is one of the most common methods used. The consensus we get on this method is that is does work, but is not very efficiently unless done properly. The kill rate is low if the anemone is not directly injected with it and if the solution is not strong enough. Another problem is that if you try to kill to many aiptasia at once, this can cause a problem with the pH in your tank from adding to much CAOH2 at one time.

geoj

It works well on the ones that are on flat areas so you can cover them with the lime. The ones on the glass are harder to kill off but it can be done it just might take a few try's.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJ http:///forum/thread/384198/mrs-wages-recipe#post_3364918
It works well on the ones that are on flat areas so you can cover them with the lime. The ones on the glass are harder to kill off but it can be done it just might take a few try's.

All the rock are in totes.....I was given a lot of rock, BUT it came with aptasia....amongst other things.....I want tp save it cuz it's really pretty rock
I have some in a clear tote with a light cause there is a fish and c=some coral polyps and shrooms on the rock....I used some Joes Juice on a few today
the other rock in in a dark tote, with a powerhead and the lid on...DO YOU KNOW how long I should keep it in the dark? It has aptasia and green bubble algae on it

geoj

I would remove what you can by hand and keep it in the dark till you don't see any regrowth . Well the truth is I am to lazy to wait that long I would really clean and cycle it.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJ http:///forum/thread/384198/mrs-wages-recipe#post_3364933
I would remove what you can by hand and keep it in the dark till you don't see any regrowth . Well the truth is I am to lazy to wait that long I would really clean and cycle it.

Believe me.....I am not a very patient person, BUT this rock was given to me....so I have nothing to lose by doing this...except space on the floor LOL

posiden

Why not just use boiling water and shoot it on them one at a time? Since the rock isn't in a tank, IMO that makes this the most simple method.
OR
you could get some peppermint shrimp or berghi nudibranchs and place them in there. Don't feed them.

meowzer

Boiling water has never worked for me.....Right now they are in a dark tote....no feeding....LOL....

posiden

Sorry, I meant don't feed the shrimp.
Since you have the rock in a dark tote, do some water tests. You are cooking the rock right now. That's what folks will do to remove any phosphates that may be bound up in the rock.

spanko

Cooking it is just hobbyist term for putting live rock in a saltwater environment with a heater and power head for flow and not light at all. This will essentially cook off all of the nasitiness that resides on the rock.
Thing about cooking rock is you need to do periodic large water changes using the water taken out to scrub the rock and then back into the light deprived environment with the newly changed water. This is a longish process but works well.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanko http:///forum/thread/384198/mrs-wages-recipe#post_3365651
Cooking it is just hobbyist term for putting live rock in a saltwater environment with a heater and power head for flow and not light at all. This will essentially cook off all of the nasitiness that resides on the rock.
Thing about cooking rock is you need to do periodic large water changes using the water taken out to scrub the rock and then back into the light deprived environment with the newly changed water. This is a longish process but works well.
OH...LOL.....Thanks Henry...I also did not know about the large w/c part....I have been keeping water made up, so when I get home tonoght I will do one.
I peeked in the tote last night and everything seemed the same to me
...I have had the rock covered since Friday....I know it will take a while still though...

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanko http:///forum/thread/384198/mrs-wages-recipe#post_3365671
Scrubbing is your friend in this case!!!!
You know this green bubble algae is really tough to get off.....I have tried on a few different pieces. A toothbrush is too soft...I am gonna have to buy a scrub brush just for this purpose.
I will make up some more water, and scrub in a different tote....do a w/c in the tote the rock is in....and go from there

spanko

Take some water out of the tote that the rock is in, use that water to scrub the rock with.