MSX 160 pics

joncat24

Well, here is the reason I always suggest these skimmers. I got this one 10 days ago, so it is just getting broken in good.
This is 2 days of skimmate from my 65 gallon. I have never had skimmate this black before. This skimmer runs at 23 watts and is very small in footprint size. Best skimmer for under $300 without a doubt.

indyws6

Greetings

The results certainly look impressive. Considering that your bio-load helps determine what is in the water for a skimmer to remove, I'd be curious to know the details of your tank for comparison. Is this an in-sump skimmer or external unit? Can you post pictures of your equipment setup?
I am looking to replace my current skimmer (and posted a thread on the other forum asking for suggestions) for my 90G (soon to be) SPS-dominated tank. I want something that can be run externally and need one that is 26" or less in height so it can be hidden in the stand. The tank is in a living space, so it is a noise and appearance concern

I am currently looking at either the ETSS 800 XR or a Reeflo ORCA 200. I know the ETSS will fit. I can't seem to find anyone that has an ORCA 200 that I can measure to confirm that it will work in my stand. Kind of important before throwing down $850+ for a piece of equipment

Take Care

joncat24

the msx skimmers are internal only. There is supposed to be and external model coming out later this year. For an external, if I were you, I would look at the octopus pro or the DAS line of skimmers.
I had an etss before and was not impressed. The noise was awful and the pumps requuire alot of juice to run em. The same holds true for the orca's, but they are great performers as well.
I would try to run an insump and go with the MSX with all things being equal. There is a big price war going on right now with reefmania and marine solutions. The msx 160 has dropped around $50 overnight and will prolly go lower yet. Cant beat em for the money.
As for my system, it is a 65 gallon with 20 gallon sump/fuge. I have a Yellow tang( I know , I know) 2 clowns, sixline wrasse, pygmy angel and a royal gramma in it. I feed nori and pellets daily and cylcopeeze three times a week.

indyws6

JONCAT - Thanks
Although I could redesign my approach to run an in-sump skimmer, I really prefer an external unit. I find it much easier to disassemble and perform routine cleaning and maintenance the way that I have it plumbed (and intend to plumb the new skimmer). Placing the skimmer in the sump would really crowd my filter sock and submersible skimmer pump. It's not a great reason for choosing an external skimmer, but it's all I have

I am reasonably happy with my ETSS Reef Devil Deluxe, especially the customer service, although I'd bet that there are some better performing units available. It's a little frustrating trying to pick one, though - seems to be a lot of personal preference around the recommendations. It's also crazy how much some of the skimmers cost considering they are all made out of basically the same materials. Granted, there are different types and quality levels of pumps, but the prices on some of the "high-end" (aka elitist) brands are simply ridiculous.
Regardless, I'll need something with more skimming capability as I start to stock more SPS. Considering the height restriction, the ETSS 800 XR is on the list as is the ORCA 200. My stand is a "normal" height unit, so it puzzles me that there aren't more skimmers on the market in the 24"-26" height range. I understand that the height of the unit affects skimming ability, but with all the technology and bells and whistles these days, you'd think some manufacturer would be doing R&D on short skimmers to make money off of people like me.
Thanks for the input - much appreciated. I have attached a picture of my current setup (disregard the high-tech skimmate collection device)

Take Care

stanlalee

my old seaclone delivered dark skimate consistantly so I dont think that means much. much nastier than my current skimmer ever produced.
(2 days on a 30g lol. well broken in)

kick ass skimmer though. didn't you just get a NW 200 less than a year ago?

wattsupdoc

I agree with you joncat on the MSX's performance. From what I've seen, they perform as good if not better than many high end models. Out of the box. It's not just one thing that does it for them though. The sicce pumps have a large volute, come with the mesh wheel and restrictors, and use very little power. They have a bubble diffuser built in and a decent outlet/water level control. The silencer is a nice little feature also. It is essentially the old style octopus with all the mods built in. The shnizzle.LOL.
My take on the new octopus is that for a few less dollars up front, I get a good modable (Bushism?)unit that I can upgrade as I go. Yes, it will likely cost me more in the end, the octo pumps arent really that great and use more power, but I believe it can be made to skim as effectively as the MSX.
I also suspect that the features the Tunze skimmers have, which this new model is essentially a mock of, will be able to be in-coorporated into it. Time will tell there.
I dont yet fully understand Tunzes "stabalizing" features, or if they are even a benefit, but doing some research on them. Just a busy time right now.
Thats gotta be some nasty skimmate in that cup.

Break down and cleaning of the new model Octos should be soooo simple also.

joncat24

Originally Posted by Stanlalee
http:///forum/post/2665499
my old seaclone delivered dark skimate consistantly so I dont think that means much. much nastier than my current skimmer ever produced.
(2 days on a 30g lol. well broken in)

kick ass skimmer though. didn't you just get a NW 200 less than a year ago?
I dont think seaclone really deserves mentioning in a MSX thread....lol
Yes I got a nw 150 about 4 months ago for my 65. It performed great, I just got a CRAZY deal on ths MSX 160 while I was at Marine Solutions, so I had to get it. I gave the Nw 150, fully modded, to a friend.