MSX 200 VS. Octopus recirc needlewheel 200

danweb

I'm in the process of buying a new skimmer for my 150g system and i have narrowed my choices down to 2. the marine solutions msx 200 and the octopus recirc 200. if any of the people here can help i would appreicate it a whole bunch.
i dont have any corals,anaminies, or anything like that but i do want to get some. so i need to upgrade soon. thanks for your help!

joncat24

The msx is a way better buy. I saw that thing at marine solutions, and it is a foaming beast. If had a tank big enuf for one, there is no doubt I would have one for sure.

danweb

thanks for your input, i was thinking the same thing but not really sure. ms is out of stock on all the models of the msx until 1st week of apirl which is really soon, now that i thouht of it.

ifirefight

Originally Posted by joncat24
http:///forum/post/2535706
The msx is a way better buy. I saw that thing at marine solutions, and it is a foaming beast. If had a tank big enuf for one, there is no doubt I would have one for sure.
I think this is the first time I ever saw joncat NOT recommend the Octo.

joncat24

Originally Posted by ifirefight
http:///forum/post/2538526
I think this is the first time I ever saw joncat NOT recommend the Octo.

LOL....dont get me wrong...the octo dnw is a good skimmer, but the MSX skimmers are in a league of their own. They have to be the best skimmer for the money right now, by far.
All of this coming from a guy who is setting up a new 65 gal with a modded octopus NW 150....LOL

T

tangtang clown

I just hooked up my new OCTO recirc nw 200 last night and man it is awesome. I don't see how a skimmer could be much better. I only ran it for about an hour. I have to cement every thing together and then I will let it run for a while. Not going to mod it or anything. The foam head and bubble looked better than I ever could have expected.
I would like to see more pics of MSX's and OCTO's. I will post some of mine soon.

bbehring

tangtang, Hoping you read this thread again? I just received my new Octopus DNW 200 Recirc and am installing as an external skimmer. Wondering if you could help with the following questions?
1. The inlet barbed fitting consists of a pvc union with a barbed fitting. The barbed fitting simply slides or is twisted/shoved into the one union side. Is the twist in water/drip proof or do I need to use some teflon tape or glue this fitting into place?
2. On the stack return pipes. All these pipes are twist into place? No need to use telflon tape or blue them into place?
3. There were 1 long and 2 shorter stand pipes (sched 80 gray) on the stack return side. does the longer pipe go from the bottom union to the t fitting?
4. Is there any problems with performance depending on which way the exit stack from the 90 is run, meaning parallel to the stand or perp to the stand?
5. I'm assuming on the output side that I can simply put a reducer fitting after the shorter piece of end piping or right after the 90 ell or right after the "T" ? What is the minimum reducer size barbed fitting or what did you use?