Multi-tank plumbing project

gregghia

I need all the suggestions I can get... I want this to go as smooth as possible, if thats possible. Let me know thoughts, concerns, etc.
So here is what I have set up so far. I have the stand built as you can see. On the top row, I am going to have 2 40 gal tanks anchoring a 65 gal that will sit in the middle, so 3 tanks at 145gal volume. All the tanks are drilled with holes at 1.25” to 1.75” diameter. The 65gal actually has 4 holes pre-drilled, two in the overflow and two at opposing ends.
Underneath I have a Megaflow4 sump and eventually will have a Reeflo Dart 3600gph pump with a Reef Concepts calcium reactor and a skimmer, tbd. The large tank on the right I have is going to hold live rock so it does not need to be looped in.
I want to know the best way to go about plumbing all these in one loop.
From my past plumbing projects I have used 1” thin PVC for the drainage and 3/4” thick PVC for the return. I also use valves on the returns to control flow and I always use quick connects in case things need to be changed out. I am sold on that for some safety and easy maintenance. What I am having a hard time understanding of course is now there are multiple tanks and I am using a large pump.
I was thinking to not over complicate this. I was hoping a simple tree off the return pump with each line having its own gate/ball valve would be simple enough. But whats confusing is what size plumbing to use? Where should I place the sump on the stand below? I have not installed a calcium reactor yet so thats a new one for me...
Anyway here is what I do know:
The stand itself is 11 feet long and the tanks sit up above 4 feet.
The Reeflo Dart pump has a 2” in and a 1.5” out
The Megaflow sump has been drilled to at the end for a 1.5” bulkhead
I can do an in sump or out of sump skimmer
I don’t have to use the Reeflo pump I can get a lesser gph if needed or more.
HELP!

saylor

sweet project to think about bro.
I think I'd pump the return water up to its highest point via 1 tube, THEN tee it off, and control the flow to each tank via ball valves if required.
I heard somewhere that your inflow to the sump should be 2x the return line back up to main tank. So a 1/2" return to tank needs an 1" inflow tube.
^ that actually almost matches your pump spec - 2" in down to 1.5" out on your pump...

wattsupdoc

Do you have OF baffles installed on the 40's and the 65? Why did you have these drilled like this if you don't know what for??
I'd do 2in straight up then T off. To 1 in with ball valves installed for each one. Then do 2in drains, just use a reducing bushing at the end of the bulkheads. Then go to 2in. You've got the room and it wont hurt any, wont cost much more. Mind all the rules of drain plumbing. No hard 90's no plumb vertical runs. The two end holes? I dunno? For a closed loop maybe???I dunno???