multiple clowns?

T

tygerfifteen

I have one 1.5 inch perc, thinking of adding two more(tank bred)
will they work together?
they are in a 68 gallon with a lemon peel,cherub angels and a scooter blenny.
also thiking of getting a longor bubble tip anemone for them , will they fight over it?
thankx

cboyfan2020

clowns are notoriously territorial so the perc that is already in there will probably run the other 2 off. I would put them in like a in-tank refuge to let the first perc get used to them w/o killing them.

T

tygerfifteen

cboy,
my clown is as passive as they come, actually my community is really passive, with the exception of thee lemon peel I aquired.
I 50/50 on catching him and returning him,bosses around my scooter blenny(first/fav fish),<---- noob mistake.
So I'm thinking they would get along big enough tank? 68 gallon.

cboyfan2020

there are always exceptions to the rule. Like my maroon hosting my condy with 1 hour of putting the condy in my tank. Give it a shot and let us know what happens. I would watch them though. Never know when trouble will break out.

c_bell

not to intrude on your post, but I had the same question. I had to percs in my 46 gal but the larger one killed the smaller one a couple of months ago. I wanted to move the remaining perc over to my 125 gal and at the same time introduce a new one. I would think that introducing them in the tank at the same time there would be less aggression. Does this sound OK???

cboyfan2020

it should be fine since the perc you have wont have an established territory anymore. This is why they fight is because they have an intruder in their area.

I started my tank with 3 and I added 3 more in a later date. So far they are all getting bigger and get along majority of the time. They get boss around sometimes by the juv. emperor angel but other than that, they are quite passive, two of them housed in my mushrooms(hairy green) and one housed around pulsing zenia.

killafins

tyger, i would recommend that u get at least one more anenome for them. I also would make sure you mess up a few things in your tank... like if one of ur territorial fish stay near a certain rock than move that rock somewhere else. Confuse them and it should help out alot. But another anenome besides the longger bublle tip u plan on getting should suffice.

THE FISH OF THE WEEK IS CLOWN FISHES, CHECK IT OUT!
Dont add them... U believe the one u have right now is not aggressive. HA! Thats what I thought toooo! When I added the tomato clown to the 75gl which it had a maroon clown in it... It was a dissaster... The clown turned into the DEVIL. Now is too late, the maroon clown died and went to hell for not sharing space lol... And the tomato clown turned so aggresive, I put him in my 90gl. aggressive set up with my eel and puffers... and now he's pecking at my puffers tails and eels tails....:( so little manners... They are like Wolfs in Sheeps clothing, Thats why you cant mix clowns... U have to introduce them in at the same time or buy tank raised....

fshhub

if you stay with the same species of clownfish, you should be ok, jsut make sure to get small juvenile clownfish, smaller than the one you have, if possible.
clowns are great together, but mixing species is not good to do. Sometimes the more aggressive species(tomato and maroon) will disprove this, but hte more docile like perculas are generally fine

tigerhawk

I have a false, true, and a maroon. The false and the true get a long very well together. The Maroon is aggressive during feeding only. The maroon is the largest. Each were added seperately. The true I probably would not have added but it had lost all of the black on its fins at the LFS so I felt sorry for him, he is yellow so I liked that too. (75 gallons)
My father also has two true and a Gold Striped Maroon. They get a long fine, at least that is what he says. He added the Maroon last. (55 gallons)
If we were aware of the problem with clowns prior to getting them we probably would not have done it, but they seem to get a long well now. We were lucky I guess.

T

tygerfifteen

boi,
they seem to be doing fine, the cherub just avoids him.
But damnit my peel came down with some cloudy eye , so i took him out, I'll probably trade in the peel if he gets better cause i seen him nipping my scooter blenny, I'm going for a peaceful tank.

overanalyzer

Originally posted by killafins
tyger, i would recommend that u get at least one more anenome for them. I also would make sure you mess up a few things in your tank... like if one of ur territorial fish stay near a certain rock than move that rock somewhere else. Confuse them and it should help out alot. But another anenome besides the longger bublle tip u plan on getting should suffice.

I would recommend you DO NOT get another anenome for your tank. I would recommend not getting one ever due to their poor survival rates .....
Most tank raised clowns are not even aware they should be hosting in an anenome - so they will host in just about anything.
Clowns live in a very small area of a reef and if you have a large enough tank you could keep several different types of clowns in a tank, but it is not recommended.
If adding more go with what Fshhub - within the same species (since you have lots of fish now) and go with ones that are smaller. The larger might bully the smaller ones and the smaller ones will bully each other to set up a pecking order.
Female (largest) Male - then males in waiting.....
Check out Joyce Wilkerson's book on Clownfish entitled CLownfishes - very cool book and you can just skip to the section talking about the various clownfish you like and/or want. You can also read a great deal on anenomes and why they should not be kept in captivity ....

stig

Having fish that seem so peaceful simply means that you have done a good job in introducing them in the right order. Don't make the mistake that many do, myself included, and assume that a a fish that looks peaceful will remain so when one of a similar kind is added. I have seen war erupt in my tank, with one fish trying to kill another and it's not something I would recommend.
How established is your clown? The more so, the longer he will need to forget his territory.
Here's my 2c......take your existing clown out and put him in another tank for a week or so. Rearrange the rockwork. Pick up the other two, bring them home and acclimatise them. Then add the 3 together.
I don't know how 3 clowns will work together. Maybe someone can enlighten us.

S

sinner's girl

we had one clown, added another one later. they got along ok (after the first one tried to kill the new one that is...but the first clown tried to kill everyone).
a few tips.
move around lr, keep lights off, take the clown out of the tank (put him in a bag). release both fish at the same, while keeping the lights off.