Mushroom attachment

lexluethar

Do you guys have any ideas of how to successfully attach a Green Ricordea mushroom to a rock? I bought one from swf.com and the little piece (i'm talking really small) of rock that it was attached to i glued to a much larger rock. Now the mushroom is coming off of the original small rock and is about to start floating around the tank.
Can i attach it to a rock using rubber bands? I've tried to reglue it but it is extremely difficult and it just keeps coming off after a day of being glued.
I paid a decent amount for one polyp and i don't want to kill it or lose it if it starts floating around.
Isn't this how they reproduce? I know i have some other mushrooms and the heads come off from time to time to attach somewhere else, but i don't know if these ric. do the same thing. And there is nothing left of the rock, like no base that i can see for a new head to grow.
Thanks again,

teresaq

The one I got was the same. I just set mine ontop of another rock in a very low flow area. in about a week it attached itself.

perfectdark

Put some sand in a tupperware container put the shroom in it. Then weigh the container down with a piece of LR. The shroom will either attach to the LR or some sand. If it grabs some sand you can then glue it to the LR. OR, you can use some hair net to wrap the shroom around a piece of LR and rubberband the net down. That should work too.

lexluethar

Okay thanks guys - what about twisty ties? Would those would, or do i really need to get some netting? I just don't want to harm it since it was expensive (for something the size of a dime).
I'll look around and see what supplies i have. Thanks

perfectdark

Originally Posted by LexLuethar
http:///forum/post/2582856
Okay thanks guys - what about twisty ties? Would those would, or do i really need to get some netting? I just don't want to harm it since it was expensive (for something the size of a dime).
I'll look around and see what supplies i have. Thanks
Twist ties are usually metal core I wouldnt IMO.

scopus tang

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
http:///forum/post/2582849
Put some sand in a tupperware container put the shroom in it. Then weigh the container down with a piece of LR. The shroom will either attach to the LR or some sand. If it grabs some sand you can then glue it to the LR. OR, you can use some hair net to wrap the shroom around a piece of LR and rubberband the net down. That should work too.
+1 ^ ; just like this ~ skip the hair net or bridal's veil if at all possible, sometimes it blocks the light too much and the shroom dies.

Like PD said, I would stay away from twist ties or rubberbands. It may take a couple of attempts to get it to finally stay attached to the piece of rock, but much less stressfull and much less likely to kill your ricordea.