Mushroom rapid growth by mistake

mclofts

Bought some mushroom frags and they have not changes one bit in a couple months.
About three weeks ago a single head (size of a dime) broke off and ended up under the live rock. I figured that was the end of that. Needless to say about a week ago I noticed it traveled maybe six inches from the bottom and is now the size of a silver dollar. The lost mushroom is now just reaching the light and looks super.
A week ago I took a second mushroom attached to a small rock and placed it about 1 inch inside a live rock crevice. This dime size mushroom is now the size of a quarter and is looking amazing. It did not change for a month before I moved it.
Is this just life will find a way? Do the mushrooms grow faster under less than optimal conditions so they can get to optimal conditions? Anyone else experience something similar?

nano reefer

maybe they just didnt like where they were in the first place. i had a zoa frag that wouldnt open. eventually a single polyp broke off the frag. about a week later i find the polyps blowing around the tank... OPEN!

reefereric

Mushies certainly don't REQUIRE the greatest water conditions, but I'd second Nano. Maybe they just weren't too happy where they were? I had some that were all about the size of a quarter, so I moved the rock and the next day they all opened to more than a silver dollar... I was amazed that they could be that much happier over night!
Keep getting them to split and sell me some!

michaeltx

different conditions in the tank will cause them to seem much larger or smaller because of how much fluid they pull in to themselves.
if you move a single head it will mutiply faster than the groupd though because there is much more space for it to spread into.
Mike