mushrooms

anonome

I would be careful with hairy mushrooms, they have been known to eat small fish, especially gobies, and slow moving cardinals. Mostly fish that hover. They are also very fast growers, and can given time take over other coral.
As far as lighting, simple pc lighting is good, but of course higher lighting will make them more prolific, and happier. As far as the chemistry of the tank,
at least 1.024 specific gravity, 1.025 is better. PH of 8.2 at night, and 8.4 in the day. Carbonate hardness of at least 7, but shoot for 8-9 is better. Calcium of at least 400, but strive for 440-450. This is just a start.
Mushrooms are good for beginners since they handle swings much better than the other corals, and do not need to be fed. The hairy mushroom, however, would benefit from small meaty foods such as mysis, or brine.

J

johnd185

i ended up not buying any because hes gonna get a shipment tomorrow

anonome

1 month is pretty new, but if your parameters are solid....not fluctuating then it is stable. I would, if I were you, wait a few more weeks to be certain. The longer you wait then the better chance of them, and any other coral, or fish, inverts, for that matter, will have to survive. Many things can change at this new stage of your tank. 3-4 months is a good period of waiting.
However, mushrooms of the discosoma variety are a good choice for the beginner.

J

johnd185

i am a beginner for mushrooms in every meaning of that word
i have been watching my tank pameters closely and they have fluctuated at all since a week after i origanally set it up (mabye becuase i went put and bought water from my friend at his lfs{very trusting and experienced guy by the way[but the ------- wont tell me his secret of keeping corals]} so its pretty "experienced water" no diseases btw
so do u think its safe is so i will go buy some mushrooms the first thing tomorrow mourning

anonome

Without seeing the tank, or the perameters then......if you feel it is worthy of a rock of mushrooms then go for it. Sometimes we are too impatient to wait, and a mushroom rock is a good starter. Don't overstock the tank, just get the one and see what happens. Using seasoned water is a good thing. Good luck to you.

J

johnd185

which one is the easiest?hardiest?and one be prone to death so easily

anonome

Again, the discosoma mushrooms are the easiest, and most forgiving. Research, this variety on the net.
I have red, mint chocolate chip, blue spotted, blue, and green mushrooms. I also have lavender, but, would not put them in the easy category. Here are some pics of some of mine.
1st pic--blue spotted
2nd--green
3rd--lavender with a few red
4th--assortment of mint, blue, and red

J

johnd185

thank looks like ill go with green and my second choice would be the spotted one

how much should i get them for

J

johnd185

so i finally got one and itd the red mushroom pics in the mourning

J

johnd185

thank u
they look beautiful up close
honestly is 10 bucks tomuch(the hole rock)
and paly?

cedarreef

That's a pretty good price. I got a small blue mushroom with 1 or 2 yellow zoos on the rock for $5 @ my LFS, but yours is significantly larger than mine... it looks very good so far