My 1-Month Old Nano FOWLR Tank!!

biohawk1

This is my 1st ever Nano Tank! So if you have any suggestions or comments, please feel free to tell me. Thanks!

slowburn22

Woah killer, take that air intake tube off that powerhead!!! Can we get some full tank shots after you do that? Its hard to tell whats going on inside your bubble factory.

azfishgal

Originally Posted by biohawk1
Why is having too much dissolved oxygen a bad thing????? Does it harm the fish?
Something about the bubbles getting into the gills and causing major problems. Bubbles are good in freshwater, BAD in saltwater.

Besides that, your tank looks great!!!

reefforbrains

Wives tale and rubbish about the bubbles. Plently of books and PHDs to back it up but its SOOOO extremely rare that I wouldnt let it worry you.
Yes it could happen. If its preventable then why not remove the bubbles and then not worry at all. As for the benchmark of "Bubbles kill" its total rubbish.

biohawk1

Originally Posted by azfishgal
Something about the bubbles getting into the gills and causing major problems. Bubbles are good in freshwater, BAD in saltwater.

Besides that, your tank looks great!!!
Thanks!

perfectdark

Originally Posted by ReefForBrains
Wives tale and rubbish about the bubbles. Plently of books and PHDs to back it up but its SOOOO extremely rare that I wouldnt let it worry you.
Yes it could happen. If its preventable then why not remove the bubbles and then not worry at all. As for the benchmark of "Bubbles kill" its total rubbish.

I tend to agree although I am not nearly as experienced as RFB is, I have come home on many occasions to my power head spewing nearly 500 times the amount of bubbles you show in your tank, well its an approximate. Lets say to the point where nothing is visible but micro bubbles. After topping off, I have had no issues and no sick fish.
However just an observation.... Your tank looks like your inhabitants are holding on for their life. Is that power head too powerful? LOL it looks funny, but from what I can see your tanks looks good.

slowburn22

Yep, it looks like a MaxiJet 1200 in a 5 gallon tank. If those fish are really fighting to swim as it appears in the pics, you should go with a smaller powerhead. Maintaining adequate flow in a small tank is challenging.

bambam_250r

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
I tend to agree although I am not nearly as experienced as RFB is, I have come home on many occasions to my power head spewing nearly 500 times the amount of bubbles you show in your tank, well its an approximate. Lets say to the point where nothing is visible but micro bubbles. After topping off, I have had no issues and no sick fish.
However just an observation.... Your tank looks like your inhabitants are holding on for their life. Is that power head too powerful? LOL it looks funny, but from what I can see your tanks looks good.
Some reefs in the ocean get a lot of wave activity during storms that kick up a ton of sand and add a bunch of bubbles to the water. Everything seems to live through that.

autofreak44

Originally Posted by BamBam_250r
Some reefs in the ocean get a lot of wave activity during storms that kick up a ton of sand and add a bunch of bubbles to the water. Everything seems to live through that.
like rfb said its PROBABLY not going to kill anything but rather be safe than sorry

azfishgal

About the bubbles.....none of the top reefers I know have bubbles. So that's enough for me to keep them out of my tank.

renogaw

my main concern with bubbles in a tank is answered with this question: how does a skimmer work?

slowburn22

And then you could also add... Why do skimmers recommend the use of bubble traps? I dont think it would necessarily kill anything in the tank but it makes your tank look like crap.