My 1st LPS, need some advice!

jbird0420

I have a 90g reef with (2) 250w 12,000k MH and (2) VHO Actinics. I'm looking at a couple of LPS corals. I wanted to get some advice on which looks the best under the lights that I have as well as care. Looking at Brain Coral-Open Green, Hammer Coral- Green, Hammer Coral-branching, Hammer Coral, Frogspawn and Plate Coral-Green Long. Out of the corals listed, which would look the best under the lighting I have and does not require a lot of extra attention. My calcium levels are betwen 420-450, I do 15% water changes every 2 weeks to maintain the trace elements needed. All advice is welcome! Thanks Guys

blackjacktang

I have a hammer coral in my 3g pico under 18 watts. It seems to be doing exalent. The only thing you need to remember is to feed them 1-2 times a week. I feed my hammer Mysis srimp.

jaymz

They would all look great under that lighting. Its just a matter of finding the right depth to place them.
You really should spot feed lps. especially if you want them to grow.
basically if you want to get the best looking LPS any will do, just be prepared to pay $$$ for the better looking, most colorful specimens.

jbird0420

So what shall i feed them?? I do have mysis shrimp and marine snow. Do I need to target feed them? If so, use a turkey baster?
thanks for all the help

jaymz

Originally Posted by Jbird0420
http:///forum/post/2728914
So what shall i feed them?? I do have mysis shrimp and marine snow. Do I need to target feed them? If so, use a turkey baster?
thanks for all the help
Yes yes and that will work

jbird0420

I heard that with my type of lighting MH-especially, that some LPS corals will looked bleached out under the lighting? With the possibilities i have listed in the beginning of this thread, what would look the best in the setup I have?

jaymz

the 90g is a tall tank.. and like i said they would all work its just finding the right depth. Being that it is a tall tank means the sand bed isnt getting an intense amount of light like the top of your rocks are and you have a nice gradient all the way up. If any coral gets too much light it will bleach out. I dont run mh's so i dont really know but as with most corals you should start them low in then slowly move them up until you find the sweet spot.
Im sure someone else out there might have some more knowledge on specific lps corals. but like i said i think its more about placement in the tank more then what looks better with mh's.

jbird0420

What lites do u use in ur setup Jaymz?
Originally Posted by Jaymz
http:///forum/post/2728950
the 90g is a tall tank.. and like i said they would all work its just finding the right depth. Being that it is a tall tank means the sand bed isnt getting an intense amount of light like the top of your rocks are and you have a nice gradient all the way up. If any coral gets too much light it will bleach out. I dont run mh's so i dont really know but as with most corals you should start them low in then slowly move them up until you find the sweet spot.
Im sure someone else out there might have some more knowledge on specific lps corals. but like i said i think its more about placement in the tank more then what looks better with mh's.

jaymz

There is a huge difference.. the corals colors are better so far, not sure on the growth. and the heat is much less than mh's for sure. its about the same as pc's.
The T5s are only 216 watts and is a brighter clearer light than the 260watts of PC i had.
T5 is still new technology but I feel it will take over mh's eventually. not that mh's are not the cadillac of lights its just that the T5s are cheaper all around and produce much less heat.
You will still have die hards that will use mh's and if i could afford them i would have them. i just dont want that electric bill

jbird0420

Jaymz, whatever I can do to lower my electric bill and have better looking corals, I'm 4 it!!!
Looks like I will have to do some investigating, since I bought the setup used 2 months back and the MH bulbs are due for replacement! Any recommendations is greatly appreciated!

http:///forum/post/2728999
There is a huge difference.. the corals colors are better so far, not sure on the growth. and the heat is much less than mh's for sure. its about the same as pc's.
The T5s are only 216 watts and is a brighter clearer light than the 260watts of PC i had.
T5 is still new technology but I feel it will take over mh's eventually. not that mh's are not the cadillac of lights its just that the T5s are cheaper all around and produce much less heat.
You will still have die hards that will use mh's and if i could afford them i would have them. i just dont want that electric bill

jaymz

search for 'current usa nova extreme T5 fixture' since you have the taller 90g i would get the 8x54watt model... not much less in the wattage department but much less in the heat dept for sure

jbird0420

Ok, will do! Thanks!!! And, these lights will do the same job as MH's, just less heat and power?

http:///forum/post/2729012
search for 'current usa nova extreme T5 fixture' since you have the taller 90g i would get the 8x54watt model... not much less in the wattage department but much less in the heat dept for sure

jaymz

Most sps is the easiest to frag of the all.. just hack and snap where ever. lps is a little trickier mainly cutting at the base of the stalks.

jaymz

Originally Posted by Jbird0420
http:///forum/post/2729023
Ok, will do! Thanks!!! And, these lights will do the same job as MH's, just less heat and power?

Its still up to debate whether the 2 types of lights are complete equals. I say if T5s are not as good its not by much and the less wattage and less heat make up for the small amount of result it may lack...
hope that make sense

jadette

There's a 'shimmer' look to MHs that you can't get with any other type of light.
As far as fragging LPS corals go, a dremel and goggles work for me!

jbird0420

Thanks for all you help guys!
I went ahead and purchased a Toadstool leather, soft coral. Should be delivered 2morrow, can't wait! I think I made a good choice for a beginner till I get some more knowledge and experience.