My 29 BioCube UPDATED PICS

perfectdark

Finally got some other fish in my tank this weekend. I havent posted all the pics I took because I know alot of the things I have are pretty common to these tanks. Its still a pretty new tank only about 2 months old but here are the 2 new additions and some other things I have had in there. I bought these 2 guys on Saturday evening. Actually I already had them purchased and my LFS was holding them for me. Most of the Perculas that are from around here in the FS are local bred so they dont go through that shipping process. There is a Professor from a local University here that breeds Perculas and has contacts at 4 or 5 Fish stores where he sells to. I guess that could be why these guys acted completly different than the Royal Gramma did when they went into the tank. When I acclimated the clowns which took me about 1.5 hours they appeared to be completley relaxed just doin their thing. Then I placed them in my tank and it was like they had lived in there, their whole life. Completly at ease with their environment and anxiously waiting for FOOD. Even the Gramma came out to say hi and ended up swiming along side of them and hanging out. I was kinda expecting more of what I had read about in here where they hang at the top of the tank and just kinda do nothing looking a bit wary. These guys are all over the place swimming every where. And eating very very well. Just thought I would pass that on.

azreefgirl

Was your daughter surprised to see that the Easter Bunny brought her 2 Nemos? I'm glad to hear that they've made themselves comfortable in your tank right away, and that the gramma didn't cop a 'tude toward his new tankmates. Your tank is looking good with all your new critters in it. Keep us posted with pics! :cheer:

perfectdark

Yea she was exstatic over them. Although I didnt get to bed till midnight that night it was well worth it. The Easter Bunny had left a trail of eggs from her bed room downstairs to the tank. The lights are on a timer so they were strategically set to turn on at 5am. When she made it downstairs their personality was a bonus because they flocked to her when she ran to the tank as if to say "HI" when really they were saying "Yo where's the grub". But all in all it worked out well. Now all I have to do is catch up on my sleep.
I was especially suprised by the gramma's attitude or lack there of when the 2 clowns were introduced. She actually looked happy that she had others to swim with. If that is at all possible.

perfectdark

Well thumbs up to Oceanic they actually came through and covered my tank that I dropped in my dinning room under their warranty. So the LFS struck a deal w/ me 1/2 refund in $$ the other in store credit. I went on a shopping spree last weekend. LOL
Hope you like.

perfectdark

how can you tell? its only been in there since Sunday (2 and a half days ago)... Last night it was opened all up and looking good. Are you refering to the red ends of the branches?? If so believe it or not I purchased it that way. Is there a way to rehabilitate it. It was in a location with no light but a lot of flow when it was in the tank I purchased it from, now it has both in my tank.

bonebrake

I shouldn't have said take it out, because it could possibly recover. Yes, I am referring to the purple/maroon tips, the yellow part has rotted away or was physically scraped off. That particular species is non-photosynthetic, meaning it needs no light whatsoever to survive, but it does require feedings of micro-sized foods for it to eat whenever its white polyps are extended.

perfectdark

ok thats what i thought. Well to my defense I did purchase it that way, and to my ignorance I didnt know that was an issue till you pointed it out to me.
. So now I want to help it out and hopefully get it back to where it should be. I bought Phytoplankton for my corals and I was told only a half to 3/4 of a capfull once a week as coral are filter feeders.
Should I take an eye dropper and physically administer a small amount to this particular Coral so I am sure it gets fed? And if so how often? I am new to SW in general forget about trying to rehab a sick or injured Coral. :notsure:
Thanks

bonebrake

If you see it has its white polyps out, take advantage of it and squirt some phytoplankton at it gently with a turkey baster. I would do this up to three times a week if the opportunity presents itself. You would not have to feed the rest of your corals as long as you do this because they will catch whatever the gorgonian does not. If the white polyps are not extended though don't bother, it can't eat without polyp extension. If you have good vision, you can actually see the eight fingers of the white polyps wrap around a piece of food and pull it into the gorgonian. It is really cool.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by Bonebrake
If you see it has its white polyps out, take advantage of it and squirt some phytoplankton at it gently with a turkey baster. I would do this up to three times a week if the opportunity presents itself. You would not have to feed the rest of your corals as long as you do this because they will catch whatever the gorgonian does not. If the white polyps are not extended though don't bother, it can't eat without polyp extension. If you have good vision, you can actually see the eight fingers of the white polyps wrap around a piece of food and pull it into the gorgonian. It is really cool.
OK great thank you. Yea 15/20i consider good, the white polyps are always out so Im guessing that its looking for food.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by b0bby1
perfect dark, wer u from in ri?
Hi Bobby,
Im from Coventy, just about 20 mins from the CT line.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by b0bby1
cool my friends got a house rite by watch hill beach.
oh yea thats not far from me at all. Although I reside at the Narragansett Beaches in summer I have been to Watch Hill many times.