my 55g & I are newbies

tarball

Question Please?

I’m about to add live rock to my aquarium and I’m wondering if it would be wise to add 10 pounds of live sand on top of the existing crushed coral?
Are there any complications down the road with mixing sand with CC?
Can I get away with removing 10 pounds of CC, Then replace it with 20 pounds
of Live sand. I figurer I’m going to add 10 or 15 pounds of LR to get the tanks
cycle started.

turningtim

Welcome to the boards!
You DO NOT want to mix CC ans sand. The CC will just migrate to the top of the bed and the sand will just end up compacted at the bottom. If you like the CC then stick with it.
Most here (including myself) like sand and only sand. The CC will require to be vacuumed to be kept clean. A sand bed really doesn't need maintenance b/c critters do most of the cleaning for you. No biggie if you like the CC just keep it clean and you'll be good.
If you want to go reef than a good rule would be about 1-2lbs of LR per gallon. What is you other filtration?
Throw a raw shrimp in there and let it get nice and fuzzy that will kick the cycle nicely.
No worries
HTH
Tim

tarball

Hello TurningTim, Thanks for you’re comment. It makes a lot since to think
the sand would eventually settle under the CC. My thinking was that the bacteria
and the organisms that exists in the live sand could be beneficial to the CC and
help establishing the tank.

Concerning what filtering system I am using now. “ Not much” It’s a standard
Fresh water Aqua-Tech double filter. I figured this filter will work fine until the
tank has finished its cycle.

You can use the shrimp method or add a bacterial booster to start the cycle. I would use both and add LR soon. Don't add fish until you test water and are sure it's cycled. Main problem most beginners make. You should start with a pair of clowns, they are hardy and relatively cheap. Remove carbon from filter during cycle, this is used for biofiltration and clears the water after cycling. I have been at it for less than a year with a 55g and things have been great for the past three months. It took a while to set up and I took my time so I didn't have any disasters. Now, it's my pride and joy.
Good luck!

turningtim

Originally Posted by Tarball
Hello TurningTim, Thanks for you’re comment. It makes a lot since to think
the sand would eventually settle under the CC. My thinking was that the bacteria
and the organisms that exists in the live sand could be beneficial to the CC and
help establishing the tank.

Concerning what filtering system I am using now. “ Not much” It’s a standard
Fresh water Aqua-Tech double filter. I figured this filter will work fine until the
tank has finished its cycle.

No worries on the bacteria. Your CC will be seeded by the LR. Make sure to get some nice LR from a good store or site. I hear the stuff here is outstanding. You may also consider just getting maybe 20-25 lbs of LR and then get "base rock" this will also be seeded by the LR and will save a couple of bucks a pound.
Bacteria will colonize reguardless, what you want are some good critters/bugs from the LR to inhabit the CC (pods, worms, etc.). These are hitch hikers that come on the rock.
I can not stress enough (IMHO) you will need a good skimmer. With enough rock and seeding of the CC you will be good for the biological filtration. You will need something to removed the yuck stuff from the tank. HOB filter will work but if you want to go reef a skimmer (again IMHO) is needed.
This is not something that you have to buy right now b/c you won't want to use it during the cycle but when you start to add livestock it will be needed.
HTH
Tim

turningtim

Just reread, couple more things. The lights you have will be fine for now. Fish don't really care about light. You won't get all the color you want out of the fish but it will work for them. Now when you go to get corals thats when you need the lights.
the best advise I can give on lights is really figire out want you wnat to keep and go from there (softies,lps,sps). What you can afford will have a bunch to do with it b/c lights are the most expensive part of a reef tank is lighting.
Do some research, I like T5 lighting. Decent pricing, long bulb life and very good output without adding a whole bunch of heat to the tank.

tarball

Originally Posted by Myrtle Beach
You can use the shrimp method or add a bacterial booster to start the cycle. I would use both and add LR soon. Don't add fish until you test water and are sure it's cycled. Main problem most beginners make. You should start with a pair of clowns, they are hardy and relatively cheap. Remove carbon from filter during cycle, this is used for biofiltration and clears the water after cycling. I have been at it for less than a year with a 55g and things have been great for the past three months. It took a while to set up and I took my time so I didn't have any disasters. Now, it's my pride and joy.
Good luck!
Thanks for you’re comment Myrtle Beach; I will certainly keep everything you said in mind. Especially about adding fish too soon. Patients and diligence is the
correct course I say! & I am in no hurry.

tarball

Originally Posted by TurningTim
No worries on the bacteria. Your CC will be seeded by the LR. Make sure to get some nice LR from a good store or site. I hear the stuff here is outstanding. You may also consider just getting maybe 20-25 lbs of LR and then get "base rock" this will also be seeded by the LR and will save a couple of bucks a pound.
Bacteria will colonize reguardless, what you want are some good critters/bugs from the LR to inhabit the CC (pods, worms, etc.). These are hitch hikers that come on the rock.
I can not stress enough (IMHO) you will need a good skimmer. With enough rock and seeding of the CC you will be good for the biological filtration. You will need something to removed the yuck stuff from the tank. HOB filter will work but if you want to go reef a skimmer (again IMHO) is needed.
This is not something that you have to buy right now b/c you won't want to use it during the cycle but when you start to add livestock it will be needed.
HTH
Tim

Thanks TurningTim you appear to be giving out sound advice.
I will take your advice and skip the live sand. & go with the CC only.
I will also take your advice on the live rock. I’ll purchase 20 pounds
from my LFS. I’ll hand pick the LR to make sure I get all the
little critters needed.
Question?
I figure its time for me to prepare to buy the filtering system for the aquarium.
The aquarium is in the Master bedroom, which means it needs to be quiet!
Also leaks and overflows can be a very bad thing with carpet in the area. LOL
I’m thinking a hang on skimmer, a bio-wheel filter, Canister Filter.
1. Penguin 350B Bio-Wheel Filter. Up to 75 gallons
2. Aquac Remora Skimmer with max jet 1200 pump. (hang on back of tank)
3. Eneim2229 wet/dry Canister Filter.
4. 50 to 75 pounds of live rock
5. 55 pounds of CC
6. Cleaning crew that works well in CC.
Opinions are welcome: Please. Especially if you are familiar with the 3 products I mentioned above.

55g

turningtim

Morning, whats the good word?
If you go HOB filter I would get an Emp. 400. I have one that has been in service for many years (FW,SW). With SW, enough LR and your CC will be enough for bio-filtering so you could just disable the bio-wheels.
I have heard nothing but good things about the Aqua-c skimmers. I would go over-sized if at all possible. Stay away from Prizm HOB skimmers. I have one that is currantly skimming a shelf in my shop. Yes, they're that good!

I don't use can filters and haven't for many years. If you get a good skimmer and have the HOB filter I would think you'll be OK. HOB's are good for running Carbon/phosban.
Things may be different with cans and I know some use them with great results. So I can't really say.
Just a question, since you're just starting to put this thing together have you considered installing a sump/refugium? Rather than HOB stuff?
Just a thought most wish they had and some upgrade later.
No worries
Tim

tarball

Originally Posted by TurningTim
Morning, whats the good word?
Just a question, since you're just starting to put this thing together have you considered installing a sump/refugium? Rather than HOB stuff?
Just a thought most wish they had and some upgrade later.
No worries
Tim
I'm not clear on the whole sump/refugium thing. I'm checking into it now. If you know a good site that explains them & how to build them, Please let me know.
Since the aquarium is in the master bedroom, I have concerns
about overflow.
Overflow is why I'm considering the Eneim 2229 Wet/Dry canister filter

turningtim

Check the diy section tons of info.
Kudos for doing your homework, look forward to seeing the end results
Tim

tarball

So many acronyms in this hobby.
I hate to sound dense, like a live rock....

But what does diy stand for?...

shrimpi

diy = do it yourself
heres a plan for a sump- the kind you can buy in the store. It serves as your biological filter. and you can also put media in there for chemical.

IMO(in my opinion) just in case it comes up...dont buy DAMNsels to cycle your tank. Your local fish store(LFS) may try to persuade you to do this. Use the raw shrimp to cycle your tank and get the bacteria/toxins going. as soon as you put in the rock and shrimp start testing your water.
If you dont have a test kit.. get one. you can have your LFS test it, but I wouldnt rely on them. Have you added any freshwater>? you need to add FW often to keep your salinity in check.
Lighting: I would try and get a few of those all in one units. They have white/blue power compacts with lunar lights all in one machine with fans to keep it cool. You can also get one with Metal halides. Dont skimp on lighting, youll end up upgrading it later and its not cheap.
heres a pic of a all in one type of fixture

These are just a few pointers I can think of, all my opinion of course, and everyone does things differently. Getting started is a pretty basic process. lots of reading, questions, and time. (and money!)

tarball

Thanks for the info TurningTim and Shrimpi. I decided against using damsels for cycling of the tank. I tossed a shrimp in the tank to get things going.
I also decided to build a sump/refugium instead of spending
$300 bucks on the wet/dry canister filter. After more thought I also decided against the bio-wheel filter.. No need for it.
I figure I'll go out and buy two 20 gallon tanks. One will be for the sump and the other will be for a QT. I can use the 2 lights from the 55g on the 20g tanks.
Question: Where is the {diy section} on this site. I can't find it to a get better ideas on building the sump/refugium.

I will say 1 thing about this site. It puts me in contact with people that SAVE ME MONEY on equipment....

Once again, thanks for the info TurningTim and Shrimpi..

Thanks for the info TurningTim and Shrimpi. I decided against using damsels for cycling of the tank. I tossed a shrimp in the tank to get things going.
I also decided to build a sump/refugium instead of spending
$300 bucks on the wet/dry canister filter. After more thought I also decided against the bio-wheel filter.. No need for it.
I figure I'll go out and buy two 20 gallon tanks. One will be for the sump and the other will be for a QT. I can use the 2 lights from the 55g on the 20g tanks.
Question: Where is the {diy section} on this site. I can't find it to a get better ideas on building the sump/refugium.

I will say 1 thing about this site. It puts me in contact with people that SAVE ME MONEY on equipment....

Once again, thanks for the info TurningTim and Shrimpi..

Good call on the Damsel. And Belated welcome to the boards!!
Before building your sump/fuge, do some research on siphon breaks, ect. In my 30 Gal sump, i have a line that says "Full" about 1/2 way up. I only fill it to there!!!! Then if/when the power goes out, or i have to unplug, the siphon caused by your pipes will not over flow your sump. I dont have any pics here, but i will take some tonight for ya and post them up.
Linky to diy ---> Clicky Clicky
hhmmm, tarball, like tar -zxvf filename ?? just wondering

tarball

No, I have nothing to do with compressed files.
I am Tarball, better known as crude oil or petroleum.
I am the sticky gooey substance made of hydrocarbons
that leaks from ships & offshore oil platforms. I’m sure you’ve
seen me washing up on your shores on the TV news. I’m a waiting
natural disaster made by man and money.
“But”, I have rededicated myself, I no longer wish to be part of pollution or be
considered a pollutant. I’m a nice guy & I have a new direction in life. A way of pristine
water conditions, and a clean living environment. I am dedicated to a non-polluted, clean,
naturally balanced living environment. One that all-marine life can enjoy and prosper in.
Yep, I’m trying to clean my act up.

tarball

hhmmm,, like tar -zxvf filename ?? just wondering

“But”, I have rededicated myself, I no longer wish to be part of pollution or be
considered a pollutant. I’m a nice guy & I have a new direction in life. A way of pristine
water conditions, and a clean living environment. I am dedicated to a non-polluted, clean,
naturally balanced living environment. One that all-marine life can enjoy and prosper in.
Yep, I’m trying to clean my act up.[/QUOTE]

tarball

Originally Posted by me-n-my-fish
Yep, I’m trying to clean my act up.