My 75 gallon tank Help me!!!

ryan2003

I have a 75 gallon tank Could you guys tell me good reefs and corals to buy:confused:
Also this is what I have so far is this enough:rolleyes:
Aquaclear 500
SEACLONE PROTEIN SKIMMER 100
2 AQUACLEAR POWERHEAD #802
CORALIFE SALT 150 GAL. MIX
80 Pounds of sand

ryan2003

would this be ok or is it over stuffing my 75 gallon tank
Porcupine puffer $9.99
Mandarin Goby $15.99
Horseshoe Crab $5.87
5 Shaving Brush $19.99
Camel Back Shrimp1 individual 4.99
Mexican/Trochus Snail 3.46
Spiny Urchin 1 individual 5.69
Bicolor Blenny 9.99
Ricordia Mushroom 1 individual 3.99
Pink Tip Haitian 1 individual 8.36
Florida Condi1 individual 6.27
Anemone-Free Shipping Curlique Anemone1 individual 5.99
Anemone-Free Shipping Rock Anemone 1 individual 4.99

dockery07

Okay where to start:
Puffer will eat the shrimp, I dont have one but know they sometimes need snails to keep their teeth down.
Mandarian, it needs to be in a established reef with at least 100lbs of live rock.
Horseshoe Crab, I have one of these and will be returning it to the LFS soon, they will eat everything in your sand bed and sometimes turn rocks over
Hopefully someone else can hep with the rest of your list. I do know that anemones need lost of lights.
Good luck to you.

reefsoe

I know the Mandarin needs plenty of pods which will breed in the rocks... and i have 100lbs plus i just dont seem to have any pods where do i get some?

dockery07

I made a pod pile with rubble rock in the corner of the tank make it tight so the fish cannot get it and they will breed there. It is cool to look at them at night in that pile.

reefsoe

how does one make a "pod pile"
Ivew heard of it and i have small rubble peices i can pile up where do i get the pods

dockery07

If you have live rock, some will venture on to it. If you dont think you have any, send me an email dockery07@yahoo.com and I can tell you where to get some. I just cannot post the link.
Good luck

P

pa reef pig

THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION AND HAS WORKED WELL FOR ME
Try to have a nice deep sand bed -DSB (about 4" deep)
-fine aragonite sand works best for this
-do some searches and read previous posts on this message board about sand beds.
weight of live rock varies so an exact number of pounds is hard to say. Try to fill alot of space with the rock (visually about 2/3 of your tank space) as this, along with the sand, will be the heart of your filtration system. Good live rock will also seed the sand bed and make it "live sand".
Power filter is not necessary and will only complicate things. Just use the skimmer.
Lighting depends on your budget. I have achieved beautiful results, the tank of my dreams, with only 4-65watt PCs. Its a matter of choice, so I will not give lighting advise.
A reef tank needs time to mature and strike a balance. Not sure what the norm is but Mine has been set up for about a year and a half and I believe it may be close to being balanced. Critterrs begin to flourish, fish stay alive, corals look happy and maintainance can become less of a chore.
Its a good idea to plan what you want to have but its best to do tons and tons of recearch before buying anything. Read alot of books. What works for my tank may not be successful for everyone, but I believe in keeping it simple. I tend to stick with the basic animals to start out with, until you get the feel of keeping a reef tank.
my suggestions:
-for fish... start with hardy fish (damsels)
-for corals...start with hardy corals (polyps, shrooms,leathers)
-for inverts...choose usefull critters such as brittle stars, cucumbers and most importantly, a good clean up crew (be as diverse as you can possibly be with this! I have in my 75 gal. ... Astrea snails, Bumble bee snails, Nassarius snails, Margarita snails, Turbo snails, Red-leg hermits, Blue-leg hermits, Scarlet hermits, Left-handed hermits, etc. etc.)
expect to have some set-backs.:(
expect to deal with algae.:mad:
expect to become addicted!:D
Have fun and good luck!

reefsoe

ok This is what i have so far and what i plan...
75g
Large wet/dry with a 750 gph little giant
2x 250w Halide lights
Ice cap VHO ballast - no bulbs yet
200 lbs south down sand - Brand new - and 10 lbs or so from my old reef which is about 2 years
50 lbs base rock and about 50 more of the live rock from my other tank.
all that is in there after 2 weeks of being setup is 2 or 3 snails and a brittle star
some mushrooms that have randomly grown off of my LR
I want to get a pod colony and setup a refuge... my 2 problems are my old tank seemed to be void of any pods ( it was a 30g ) and I need to build a refuge, the 15g tank i was going to use doesnt fit under the stand since my wet/dry is so big and my pump is external ( Bad choice ) so for now a "pod pile" seems to be the best thing until i build the refuge from acrylic or find something suitable to use

P

pa reef pig

Can you possibly use the wet dry for a sump/fuge? Remove the bio balls/media and ad sand to it?

ryan2003

how about this setup for my 75 galllon tank:
Aquaclear 500
SEACLONE PROTEIN SKIMMER 100 online
2 AQUACLEAR POWERHEAD #802
CORALIFE SALT 150 GAL. MIX
5 Shaving Brush
2 Camel Back Shrimp1 individual
Mexican/Trochus Snail
Spiny Urchin 1 individual
Ricordia Mushroom 1 individual
Pink Tip Haitian 1 individual
Florida Condi1 individual
Anemone- Curlique Anemone1 individual
Anemone- Rock Anemone 1 individual
Bicolor Blenny
Mandarin Goby
Turbo/Astrea Snail 10 individuals
Sand Sifting Crab 5 individuals
Blueleg Hermits 10 individuals
20-25lb box of Premium Fiji Live Rock $109.99 including
NATURE'S OCEAN BIO-ACTIV ARAGONITE-
-LIVE SAND-
20 Lbs. of Live Sand! (20 lbs is actual weight of sand!)ONLY $39.99

P

pa reef pig

Ryan2003, are you going for a reef or fish only with some live rock?
For a reef, Im not saying that your way will not work, but this is my opinion. I like to use a skimmer without a power filter (isn't that aquaclear 500 a filter?) powerheads should be ok.
Get lots of live rock (75-100 lbs.) and live sand (3"-4" DSB).
I could spend alot of time criticizing your choice of inhabitants for various reasons such as...
shaving brush would probably be eaten by hermits, urchin or maybe the Blenny.
I had a spiney Urchin and it knocked alot of my rocks around and ate alot of my coralline algae which is not a good thing.
Anemones are alot of work for a beginner
Mandarins require a well established tank and tons of live rock with a good pod population.
....these are the observations I have made over time and I'm only telling you this because I dont want you to become dissapointed when you run into problems.
You will have problems, you will spend ALOT of money learning things the hard way. We ALL do. Its a learning process.
p.s. another tip...you are going to set up a sump with an overflow and return pump, right?

ryan2003

2 percula clowns $10.00
royal gramma $9.00
Saddle clown brown $9.00
1 4-Stripe Damsel $3.00
1 2-Stripe Damsel $3.00
Condy Anemone Colored $7.00
Condylactis Anemone $6.00
Curly Q Anemone $5.00
Reef Hatian Anemone $7.00
Long Tentacle Anemone $15.00
Feather Duster, Giant Hawaiian $9.00
6 Astrea Conehead Algae Eater Snail $1.00
Pencil Urchin $8.00
Camel Shrimp $6.00
Peppermint Shrimp $6.00
2 Blue Leg Hermit $2.00
$119.00 Shipping $25.00 10% 11.90
AQUACLEAR POWERHEAD #802 Price: $25.99
CORALIFE SALT 150 GAL. MIX Price: $29.99
SEACLONE PROTEIN SKIMMER- 100 Price: $67.99
127.99 shipping $10.95
WEISS LIVE SAND BOOST 6OZ -Price: $9.99

reefsoe

technically i could make my sump a refuge... but the waterflow is WAY to high IMO i thought the refuge should flow slow

P

pa reef pig

I agree with the slow flow idea. I will be setting up another 10 gal tank connected to my sump/fuge. The new 10 will have slower flow and be more for macro growth and I will leave the sump with some of the sand and rubble for helping the pod population.

reefsoe

i mainly want macro/pods so im trying to think up a way to do this... i was thinkin about a small wooden stand over my little giant just a plywood with 4 square legs ::shrug:: need a nice container too, acrylic or a plastic tub