my Algea problem

tlk

is getting out of control. Have two problems:
1) Red slime algea. Is there a natural way to get rid of this stuff? I have read about using chemicals but would prefer to find an alternative method.
2) Green algea on glass and sand. Grows quickly and seems to "crust" the surface of the sand. I have been vacuuming up the top layer of sand, rinsing it off and replacing it (max 1/4 inch)
4x65 pc have been in place for alittle over a month now.
trItes are at 0
trAtes are at 8.2
temp is at 84
sg is 1.024

justinx

An algae bloom after a lighting upgrade is very common. For the red slime, read a post I wrote entitled "how to rid your tank of red slime" Chances are good that this will take care of both your problems.
HTH
Justin

tlk

Originally posted by JustinX
An algae bloom after a lighting upgrade is very common. For the red slime, read a post I wrote entitled "how to rid your tank of red slime" Chances are good that this will take care of both your problems.
HTH
Justin

Just wanted to report back that my Red Slime is completely GONE! Great article JustinX. I reduced my lighting to 5 hours and have gradually brought it back up to 7 (will go a little higher soon). I am glad I didn't resort to treating this problem with chemicals. I think that will be better in the long run.
Thanks again!

infalable

Just read Justins post. That was great. TLK...how long did it take for your slime to dissappear. I will put my lights on a timer tonight.

tlk

Originally posted by Infalable
Just read Justins post. That was great. TLK...how long did it take for your slime to dissappear. I will put my lights on a timer tonight.

Ballpark it at two weeks. The first day I started with the reduced lights, I did a water change and sucked out as much cyano as possible ( aroudn 70%). It continued to grow for a bit, but then i noticed it start to recede around 1 1/2 week ago. It is all gone now. BTW, I also reduced the feeding to every third day.

infalable

Thanks tlk. I dont have any fish, just a small clean up crew and a few shrooms. I orered a nice clean up crew and a few dusters as well. Since I do not have any fish yet, that will not be a prob, but I think the other suggestions will work fine. Its nice to have a general time frame to gage progress.