My Anemone looks SICK....I think it might DIE

aaronwilcox

Haven't had it that long, but it doesn't look good. I have dried feeding it fish but it seems to shrink up a ton and then not end up eating them (letting them go). I was reading somewhere that it is bad if they have a drooping mouth which it looks like mine definitly has......My light system should be good enought to keep it(2x250W metal halides) and a 4ft long 4 blub compact fluorescent lamp. I recently tested my water and everything was good, I even took it to ***** and they tested it and said it was good (what do they know). The only problems I can think of is that my SG is around 1.021-1.023 instead of 1.025-1.026. and my tank is only 2 months old.

What can I do? When do I take it out?

aaronwilcox

This was a picture of him when I thought he was healthy.....Taken on day one....I also only temperature acclimated him because I have been told it was the right thing to do.

rainbow grouper

2 MONTHS! sorry for shouting but you need a tank of at least six months (preferably more) set up before even CONSIDERING a nem. please do your research before you buy. l would share info but before i do that i must know what type of nem is it. if your cons are fine i must know the type before giving you info and if you must have an anemone PLEASE PLEASE ONLY BUY CAPTIVE BRED ONES. The reason i say this is IME captive bred ones always do better than wild caught and also bubble tip anemones are once again IME easier to keep than others. Oh and welcome to the site!

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwilcox http:///t/388023/my-anemone-looks-sick-i-think-it-might-die#post_3419054
This was a picture of him when I thought he was healthy.....Taken on day one....I also only temperature acclimated him because I have been told it was the right thing to do.

Yes, your tank is too young...regardless....how long have you had the anemone? They do shrink and expel water to purge themselves, the first time they do it, new owners kind of freak out and think that they are dying.
Cover all power heads and intakes, anemones roam and get sucked up. I don't think there is anything wrong with it.

meowzer

That anemone looks bleached too....your tank is too new, and iftaking it back is not an option.....you need to make sure you water paramters remain excellent....feed the anemone small meals of soft foods....Mine like scallops...I buy them at Walmart frozen dept for $5 a bag. Thaw one , and break of a piece and place on tentacles....ONLY try to feed when it is fully open

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwilcox http:///t/388023/my-anemone-looks-sick-i-think-it-might-die#post_3419089
Its a long tentacle anemone
It's fine, just pruging...LOL..it's how they poop. Many anemones are bleached after capture, your tank is very new and unstable but you might be able to get it to color up over time if you keep it healthy and well fed. Water quality is important...watch it like a hawk, and do regular water changes, and water tests, to make sure the results read that everything is within perfect parameters. Again cover those power heads and intakes.

btldreef

IMO, this anemone was basically doomed before it reached your tank, it's terribly bleached. That combined with it being a new tank really is spelling a recipe for disaster.
What are your water parameters exactly?
Definitely bump up your salinity SLOWLY, especially if you want to keep a reef or other inverts, or help this anemone.
What else do you have in the tank?
What is your filtration like?
What have you tried to feed and how have you tried to feed it?
Anemones, especially sick ones do not like food just placed in them. Try to sweep the food through it's tentacles, as if they were catching a shrimp floating by in the current. They'll be much more likely to accept food this way.

aaronwilcox

I have raised the SG I think he is look better
The only other thing i have in the tank right now is a percula clown, and a cleaner crew. I have a sump going with a skimmer, refug with cheato, and a hang on the back filter rated for 90 gallons. I have tried to feed it, but just buy placing a piece of a silver fish in its tentacles.....not sweaping.....I thought he was going to eat it once because he got really deflated and started moving the piece of fish toward his mouth, but then right before he was about to eat it he let it go and started to inflate but not nearly as big as he was initially. When should I try to feed it my NEM still looks fairly deflated. Not sure of my exact measurements at this time.
This is what he looks like now.....what do you think?

aaronwilcox

Another Question......When I switch my MH lights on he starts to deflate and his tentacles don't look healthy.....In the picture above which i took five minutes ago just my attinics are on because its getting late. I probably shut my MH off a 1/2 hour ago. Is he inflated just because he is trying to gather more light? My MH are not hurting him are they? I no this sounds ridiculous

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwilcox http:///t/388023/my-anemone-looks-sick-i-think-it-might-die#post_3419301
Another Question......When I switch my MH lights on he starts to deflate and his tentacles don't look healthy.....In the picture above which i took five minutes ago just my attinics are on because its getting late. I probably shut my MH off a 1/2 hour ago. Is he inflated just because he is trying to gather more light? My MH are not hurting him are they? I no this sounds ridiculous
LOL...you look too closely. Just leave it alone. It's a living creature, it gets big, it draws up, it poops and it moves. Do you have power heads in the tank? You need a nice current flowing (not directly on it) but flowing across it carrying away waste and bringing food.

aaronwilcox

My concern for my anemone is now its stock does not look so good. Or does debris just accumulate on the stock because it is trying to stick to something?

gemmy

Are you referring to the foot? If so, it is common for the foot to get sand and debris stuck to it. I sometimes see snail shells stuck to the foot of my anemone.