My AP 24 HQI 150...

kjohansen

I am just getting started.. I have about 17 pounds of LR and 30 lbs of sand in it. I am getting another 17 - 20 pounds of LR tomorrow.
Here is a pic that I took this afternoon of it..

kjohansen

Well.... lets see..
Some soft corals and maybe a few hard ones too.
2 clowns, either maroons or percs.
A firefish
a crab
nasarus snails
cleaner shrimp

khaari

Sounds like its gonna be a nice setup. I'd go with the percs or occelaris clowns instead of the maroons. They can get aggressive and its not usually a good idea to have a pair in a smaller tank with other fish.

kjohansen

I'm also running a MJ 1200 instead of the stock pump and took out the ceramic thingys and the bio-balls. Put live rock rubble in the sump. Instead of the stock outlet I have a Hydor-Flo.
I am waiting for another Hydor-Flo and I have a MJ 400 to put inside the tank for more water movement.

greenreefer

Did a mj1200 fit on to the current supply tube or did yo have to get creative? If you had to mod, what worked? Would you recommend the hydor? How deep a sand bed are you running?

kjohansen

Originally Posted by GreenReefer
Did a mj1200 fit on to the current supply tube or did yo have to get creative? If you had to mod, what worked? Would you recommend the hydor? How deep a sand bed are you running?
No, the current supply tube is to big. I used 1/2 inch tubing with a plastic clamp to make sure the connection was tight on the MJ 1200. The tube runs up and can be inserted right where the L connector slipped in and creating a much smoother bend.
So far I like Hydor a lot!
I have 1 1/2 to 2 inch sand bed.

oceansidefish

We used O rings when we went to a split head. I am assuming you can get them from home depot or something, my husband took one from work.

greenreefer

I was looking at making the switch to a mj1200 for the pump, but when I looked at the gph they were about the same. Why did you decide to switch?

kjohansen

I was looking at making the switch to a mj1200 for the pump, but when I looked at the gph they were about the same. Why did you decide to switch?
Heat is a big issue with the stock pump. it uses more watts than the MJ. I use the stock pump to circulate in the mixing barrel.

greenreefer

Sorry for all of the questions, but I just got similar setup before we went on vacation and we are stopping by a quality online store who has local hours in indianapolis on our way home and I want to make sure I pickup everything I need....Does using the stock pump to circulate the new water eliminate the need for an airstone?
Do you use a skimmer? If so, which one and are you happy with it?
Are you happy with the total lbs of LR in your tank?

kjohansen

Sorry for all of the questions, but I just got similar setup before we went on vacation and we are stopping by a quality online store who has local hours in indianapolis on our way home and I want to make sure I pickup everything I need....Does using the stock pump to circulate the new water eliminate the need for an airstone?
Do you use a skimmer? If so, which one and are you happy with it?
Are you happy with the total lbs of LR in your tank?
I love the amount of rock in the tank now. I think about 30 - 40 pounds is great in that size of tank.
I don't use an air stone in the new water, the pump breaks the surface and puts oxygen in that way.
I am not currently running a skimmer. By doing weekly water changes you can get away from a skimmer. I am looking into building a fuge for it, maybe a 10 gal fuge. When I do that I will run a skimmer.

kjohansen

Originally Posted by theappe3
dang nice pics!
Thank you!! I can hardly wait till I can start putting corals and a few fish in it!!

kjohansen

Well I got 4 Astrea snails and one Turbo. Also got a purple firefish which I have only seen him once after he went in. He came out just barely from his cave to grab a couple copapods. I also have a green and red zoas.. More pics to come soon!