My Aragacrete - Pic

vayapues

Below is a picture of my first attempt at making aragacrete:

I used 50 lbs Portland cement
150 lbs araganite
25 lbs rock salt
25 lbs salt pellets (for water softener)
I let it cure for 4 days on my back patio. I then washed it with a hose, and carefully placed it in my newly setup 120 g tank. This nearly did me in. The large piece you see in the pic weighs about 125 lbs. I had to lift it higher than my head, and then gently set it down. For some of you, that would probably be easy, but I am out o shape.
For the next 60-90 days, I will be doing a 100% water change every three or four days, as the aragacrete cures. This is very important, because the first two months or so, as the concrete cures, it raises the ph above 9. If this were an established tank, I would cure the rock in a plastic bin, outside. But since there is currently nothing in the tank, I opted to just cure it in there.
Once it is cured, and my ph tests at a decent level, I will cycle, and add some life to it.
One thing that I did notice, that blew me away, is how porous the aragacrete is.
I can literally pour a cup of water right through it, and it comes out almost instantly on the other side. Yet it is strong enough for me to life 125 lbs of it holding it by a single arch, as I wrestle it into a tank.
That translates into a lot of room for my bio filter.

BTW, I made too much. If anyone wants it, I will send to you for free. You pay shipping of course. The pieces i have left are all just rocks, except for one arch. They are all about the size of a dinner plate, except for one larger piece. If you want them, let me know, and I will take pics and post.

Just make sure you cure them for two months before placing into an existing reef.

That is some amazing rock work. I love how you created it, looks very neat. Curious though, Doesn't your 125 have a center top divider? how did you get that past that ?

vayapues

Originally Posted by The Egregious
http:///forum/post/2556726
That is some amazing rock work. I love how you created it, looks very neat. Curious though, Doesn't your 125 have a center top divider? how did you get that past that ?
Thank you. I was scared as I made it, that the arches would simply fall apart when I tried to pick the rock up. I doubt I will ever make anything that big again. I think I am very lucky I did not drop it and break something.
Thankfully, the center divider on my tank comes out.

sk8shorty01

Thats looks great. I am currently researching the process that goes into making this stuff so if you have any informative sites that you feel are a must, please let me know. This araga-crete live rock is a huge step towards the process of being able to completely supply the hobby without having to over farm reefs! That is why I have been so interested in this stuff, as it has seemed to really take off in the last six months or so.

vayapues

There is surprisingly a lot of information out there on this topic. A few, like Garf, and others, have spent the last ten years or so, playing around with different mixtures, to find out what works. Another couple of guys (I forget their names) spent some time researching how to cure the rock so that it is safe for the tank.
Most of the sites I found recommend using macaroni, or cheetos to create holes and caves. They suggest leaving the rocks outside, where ants can eat away the macaroni and cheetos. I personally opted to use rock salt, and rock pellets, which all disolved within the first 24 hours of curing in the water bin, leaving behind a very pourous rock.
The result of using the salt is amazing. I can literally pour water through the rock, yet it is solid enough to pick up.
A few of the articles I had bookmarked below:
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaver...ementRock.html
http://www.reefland.com/forum/reef-a...1-17-05-a.html
http://www.athiel.com/lib3/arago.htm
I think that the important thing is to experiment a bit, and find out what works for you.

sk8shorty01

What exactly are rock pellets? Could you explain that a little bit more? I do like the rock salt idea though.

vayapues

Originally Posted by sk8shorty01
http:///forum/post/2557575
What exactly are rock pellets? Could you explain that a little bit more? I do like the rock salt idea though.
Sorry, that should say 'salt pellets'.
They are the big pellets about the length of a tootsie roll, and about twice the width.

A

azul1994

Wow that looks awesome! So whats the plans for this tank? Reef or Fish Only?

mkzimms

can we get an upclose shot? i'd like to see the detail, from here it looks really really nice. i wouldn't mind learning how if you were to create a how-to thread.

A

alexmir

I am planning on making a whole lot of rock when i set up a 125 this winter. Supplying the tank with 100 lbs of live rock woule be ridiculous!!! Im planning on curing it in a plastic container with about 20 lbs of liverock for about 90 days, and then light the tub and add coraline algea chips to help get some coraline growth, adding purple up the whole time.
GREAT JOB!!!

reefkprz

it looks really nice.

are you going to add live rock? so you can change around your aquascaping in the future or or is that going to be it for your tank ********?

natclanwy

Originally Posted by alexmir
http:///forum/post/2557961
I am planning on making a whole lot of rock when i set up a 125 this winter. Supplying the tank with 100 lbs of live rock woule be ridiculous!!! Im planning on curing it in a plastic container with about 20 lbs of liverock for about 90 days, and then light the tub and add coraline algea chips to help get some coraline growth, adding purple up the whole time.
GREAT JOB!!!
Just so you know you need to cure DIY rock by itself until the PH levels out or you will kill everything on your live rock.

grabbitt

Wow that looks awesome. I would not have guessed that is your first attempt! Great job! I can only imagine how great that will look covered in coralline and crawlin with critters!