My Biocube 29

happyfeet

I haven't really ever shared pictures of my tank, but I'm finally feeling confident enough to share my little guy.

Hope you enjoyed the pictures.

sweatervest13

WOW!! Looks great!!

I like the design and coral placement...I also really like your choices of corals and the variety... A little bit of everything in there. What kind of lighting are you running? Are you dosing anything for the SPS? How long has this baby been up and running?

Thanks for sharing!!

SV

happyfeet

Hi, Thanks for the feedback. I always question my choice of aquascaping, but with only 30 gallons to work with I believe the extra filtration they provide is invaluable.

I'm running Evergrow IT2040 LEDs with the Blue and White leds on different channels with separate dimmers with a controller. This allows me to have a dimming effect that mimics the rising and setting of the sun plus the waxing and waning of the moon at night.

I'm dosing Kalkwasser for the SPS via a dosing pump.

Filtration I have a Media Reactor with GFO and Carbon plus a BH1000 Reef Octopus Skimmer

This tank has been up and running for about a year and a half now. My original corals were the Blue/Green acro, Green Stony, Torch, and the dead plating Strawberry field Monti and semi Dead mystery coral I never ID'd in the top right. the dead corals didn't like the LEDs and were nearly instantly vaporized by them. The coral in the top right that is mostly dead when colored up is a metallic light green with hints of blue it's pretty spectacular. Very sad it got so hurt.

Currently I'm battling Algae because I haven't been able to do a water change in 3 months because my unit is frozen solid, so unusual for Virginia.

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyfeet http:///t/397245/my-biocube-29#post_3540223
Hi, Thanks for the feedback. I always question my choice of aquascaping, but with only 30 gallons to work with I believe the extra filtration they provide is invaluable.

I'm running Evergrow IT2040 LEDs with the Blue and White leds on different channels with separate dimmers with a controller. This allows me to have a dimming effect that mimics the rising and setting of the sun plus the waxing and waning of the moon at night.

I'm dosing Kalkwasser for the SPS via a dosing pump.

Filtration I have a Media Reactor with GFO and Carbon plus a BH1000 Reef Octopus Skimmer

This tank has been up and running for about a year and a half now. My original corals were the Blue/Green acro, Green Stony, Torch, and the dead plating Strawberry field Monti and semi Dead mystery coral I never ID'd in the top right. the dead corals didn't like the LEDs and were nearly instantly vaporized by them. The coral in the top right that is mostly dead when colored up is a metallic light green with hints of blue it's pretty spectacular. Very sad it got so hurt.

Currently I'm battling Algae because I haven't been able to do a water change in 3 months because my unit is frozen solid, so unusual for Virginia.
LOL.

I have a pair of IT2080's (Reefbreeders Photon series)and LOVE them, but you are right... Those things can vaporize corals if they are not acclimated. That is some serious light over a 29 cube... I like it!!

AND, I used to run a BH1000 on an old standard size 29g.. That thing is a beast!! I like your choices in equipment.

I am impressed with what you have done in a nano tank. Nice work. I feel you on the algae issues. Hopefully it will warm up soon and you can free up that unit.

happyfeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatervest13 http:///t/397245/my-biocube-29#post_3540225
LOL.

I have a pair of IT2080's (Reefbreeders Photon series)and LOVE them, but you are right... Those things can vaporize corals if they are not acclimated. That is some serious light over a 29 cube... I like it!!

AND, I used to run a BH1000 on an old standard size 29g.. That thing is a beast!! I like your choices in equipment.

I am impressed with what you have done in a nano tank. Nice work. I feel you on the algae issues. Hopefully it will warm up soon and you can free up that unit.

I actually did a water change right after I took those pictures on Wednesday. I set up a Propane heater in the shed aimed directly at the unit and then took a torch to the faucet head to melt the ice. I was able to run it for a little while because the temp was slightly above freezing so it all didn't freeze right back up. Temp today is 14, so I don't think I can keep filtering more hah!

Yeah the BH1000 is really nice and it was only a very minor modification to get it to fit, I could only tell so much from the online specs and pictures. Worked better than I thought!

I actually got out of the hobby because I got a 75 Gallon tank and EVERYTHING I put in it died. I couldn't keep a thing alive in that tank and all my params were perfect. I'm almost 100% positive there was some kind of contaminant in my rock that slowly leeched out and killed everything. I threw all my equipment away and a year later my girlfriend got me this as a present for my birthday. Best present I ever got.

happyfeet

I picked up some corals for the first time in a long time this past weekend. I ordered 10 Ricordia to fill in some of my shaded areas and I picked up Sunset Millepora, Pink Lemonade Acropora, Red Planet Acropora, Rainbow Acan, and a Strawberry Shortcake Acropora, names I'll probably forget in a day or two. Honestly I've never cared what the name of a coral is outside of its genus.
But for what you guys really care about... the pictures. I'll take pictures of them once they have colored back up in my tank. I took pictures of them in the tank I bought them out of so enjoy for now.

Pink Lemonade - Bought whole colony

Sunset Millepora - Bought whole colony

Strawberry Shortcake - Fragged off a branch

Red Planet - Fragged off a branch

Rainbow Acan - not actual one I bought, just a stock photo, because I forgot to snap a picture of it.

If they color back up enough today I'll take some pictures of them in my tank this afternoon.