My Black Ice Snowflake Clownfish

btldreef

I forgot that I still haven't posted up a picture of these little beauties. Anyways, there are only about a dozen pairs that ORA has released thus far, and I was able to get my hands on a pair. Supposedly, they turn black as they mature, and are basically black snowflake clowns. I just HAD to have these guys, even though my bank account told me I shouldn't do it, LOL
They're in the new 55G refugium, which is divided for the regular Ocellaris Clowns and these guys. You can see in the video that my female Ocellaris isn't too happy with the new additions on the other side. She much have swam into that divider 100x when I first put them in. She seems to be a little better about it now.
Also in the vid, is my Yasha Goby that decided to make a cameo, LOL

btldreef

Thanks! They better be for what I spent on them, LOL ... I swore I would never pay over $50, let alone over $100 for a darn clownfish

1guydude

does the yasha have a shrimp?
Those are amazing fish indeed... to darn spendy for my tastes though. They have the thin blue line around the strips right? Way too much for me LOL!

btldreef

The blue lines on them are amazing! I just can't get a great photo of them that showcases it.
The Yasha is paired with a Randalli pistol shrimp, he just didn't want to show face yesterday.
They were expensive, but hopefully they'll eventually breed and it'll be worth it, lol

1guydude

lol didnt even cross my mind about breeding em! Good plan! maybe ull get ur money back one day! How much would u sell a newborne pair for?

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1guyDude http:///t/388354/my-black-ice-snowflake-clownfish#post_3424651
lol didnt even cross my mind about breeding em! Good plan! maybe ull get ur money back one day! How much would u sell a newborne pair
for?
I'm not sure. I usually don't sell my stuff for nearly as much as market price. (I sell my ORA SPS frags for $15-$30 for a multi branch piece)
My LFS has two more in stock (he ordered me a pair, himself a pair and extra's to sell). He's selling them for $130 a piece, but said that is his cost. Whether that's true or not, I don't know. Another LFS had a pair and sold them for $450, which I think is just insane, but they're not fully released yet, so people will pay.

1guydude

ya they were advertised at like $140 a piece here!
Im all for selling my stuff cheap....i give stuff away too. Its to help spread the hobby and get the new n00bs intrested me thinks! So if u wanna give me a pair for free to help further the hobby im all for it!

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1guyDude http:///t/388354/my-black-ice-snowflake-clownfish#post_3424657
ya they were advertised at like $140 a piece here!
Im all for selling my stuff cheap....i give stuff away too. Its to help spread the hobby and get the new n00bs intrested me thinks! So if u wanna give me a pair for free to help further the hobby im all for it!

LOL, we'll see. You're going to have to wait a good three years, these guys are babies. Fingers crossed that they do indeed turn all black! I think once they're black, the blue lining on their stripes will really pop.
I'm big on trading. My local reef club is big on it too, it's a nice thing. Everyone makes out.

2quills

Nice fish. I had thought about doing a set up for a pair of those black ice clowns. Still considering it. But I would never in a million years pay $450 for a pair of clown fish unless they were my golden ticket to riches lol.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/388354/my-black-ice-snowflake-clownfish#post_3424662
Nice fish. I had thought about doing a set up for a pair of those black ice clowns. Still considering it. But I would never in a million years pay $450 for a pair of clown fish unless they were my golden ticket to riches lol.
That's what I said! I literally laughed at the owner when he told me the price. But, I live on Long Island, and this store is in a wealthy area. He sold them in under a week.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al&Burke http:///t/388354/my-black-ice-snowflake-clownfish#post_3424665
Hey those are beautiful - they look very healthy - good luck with them.
Thanks. My husband has been obsessed with them since I showed them to him on the ORA website, so once I had a chance to buy them, I had to. He works to darn hard on the tanks for him not to get thrown a bone every once in a while, LOL.
Eventually, they're probably going to end up going in a tank I want to set up in the nursery.