My Cardinals had babies! now what? (pics)

beaker

my banggai cardinals had 2 babies....i dont know when or how old they are, i just found them last night hangin out in the back of my tank...heres some pics

So what do i do now?I figured it would be a good thing to get them out before they become dinner. but how? they are hiding back behind my largest rock in my tank right by my bubble anemone. also what do i feed them? any tips/tricks on how or what to feed them?
I have a maroon clow, 2 chrimis', a cleaner wrass, and a gold headed golby......are any of these fish a threat?
-Beaker
Huntington Beach, CA
bradmartin1@hotmail.com
[ July 17, 2001: Message edited by: Beaker ]

misty

Those little guys are so cute! I want to have a pair of bangaii's myself, and can only hope that they will breed.
I don't have any advice on this, as I don't even have fish yet. But congrats!
I have heard from another BB member that his bangaii's have babies every six months or so but that the clown feeds them to it's anemone. So, I'd think that the maroon clown would be a threat. There may have been more than two that someone already got. Hopefully those little guys can hide out long enough for you to get them a safe house.
Do you have a refugium? You can get one that hangs on the inside of the tank for about $35...it's made by CPR.
Would your LFS buy them from you/give you a trade for goods?

flydan

Hey!
Congrats papa! I don't know how you will move them although I would if at all possible. The only book I have that says anything about Bangaii is that large fry will eat newly hatched brine shrimp nauplii cleaned of shells and debris. That's not much help but it's all I've got! Sorry. It does go on to say that they may spawn repeatedly and within days of releasing the last brood and that brooding fish should be isolated and undisturbed without outside filtration. So maybe if you can't save these two you will get another shot!
I've got one Bangaii and he/she is a great fish! ;)
Take care,
Dan'l :D

blueberryboomer

HOW COOL!!! Congrates, I've never had any babies born, we're trying though, we have 2 clarkie clowns that we are hoping will breed. Sorry I can't give an adivise. Good luck and best wishes for the little cuties. Later Lisa

kappadoku

Most new fry will eat freshly hatched brine shrimp nauplii, be sure to feed the brine shrimp within 24 hours of hatching, as they are most nutritous(sp?) in that first 24 hours. Their egg yolks/sacs will greatly benefit the new fry.
As far as hatching brine shrimp, go to the local science-toy store and get a "Sea-Monkey" habitat, you can use the seamonkeys, but actual Salina Nyos eggs are cheap, about $4.00 for 3 ounces here at the LFS. Ive been using the same 3 ounce vial for over 6 months, hatching twice a week, and its not even half gone. (Baby Seahorses LOVE EM!!!)
As bangaii's are mouth brooders, watch the male and see if he has anymore hideing in there.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

beaker

well, in this case, i just set up a second tank (34g glass hex) and its going to be a fish/reef tank as well....so im looking to set up a tank where i will breed brine to feed the fish...
anyone got any tips on how to do this? i posted this question in the equpitment & DIY topic on this board.
Thanks everyone :)
-Brad

heath

here's another option.
buy a spiny urchin- the babies will hang out in the middle of the spikes.
then clear the algae on the tank glass to make a direct path for the urchin to follow (to get him out in the open)
the babies will probably follow the urchin throughout the tank.
hopefully you will find the urchin and babies are in an advantageous spot.
scoop them all up into a specimen container-
you end up having to get an urchin- but its worth it, if your cardinals are actively breeding you will have lots of babies, and the spiny urchins are their natural protection-
hth,
heather

frenchman

I am sorry to say that I have no clue on the answer to your question but I love the photograph! Very cool.
My cardinal died yesterday. Nevet ate. :(

sparky

Well, we were lucky enough to have 2 batches of babies. The first batch we took the male and put him in a breeders net.The key is to keep the babies well fed(baby brine). Hopefully you dont have any cleaner shrimp. Unfortunately our whole first brood fell victim to the shrimp pulling them throught the netting and, well you know :eek: ! So our second batch, which the female had laid within one weeks time, we thought we'd give them a fighting chance in the whole aquarium(55 hex). Were still not sure if they gave birth to those. Watch for male to tell you if he's carrying babies. He'll let food fly by while everyone else is scarfing down. Try to keep a constant supply of baby brine for them till they start to eat regular food. Feed often,3-6 times a day, there growing boys!HTH and good luck, they are so cute to watch! :p