My clown hosting a Frogspawn..

kjohansen

Originally Posted by REEFER545
That is a euphyllia, but not a frogspawn. That is a hammer coral. GREAT PIC Though.
Cool, thanks for setting straight on that!!!!

reefer545

no worries. glad to be of service. totally common misconception. STILL ASWEET PIC. Heres one of mine that hosts a closed brain. Not a great pic quality, but the brain is down and to the right. Sometimes i swear it is dead but it is just sleeping.

dnraiders

how long did it take you guys or how did you make them host it?
also i noticed that when i accedently touch the frogspawn it deflates it also deflates @ night does it do that when the clowns do that?
when onef my clwns sleeps it just lays on its side

kjohansen

The hammer closes up at night and the clown stays on it. During the day and while the MH lights are on the hammer stays open all the way. Doesn't seem to mind the clowns at all. It took about a week for them to take to it. The larger clown took a nose dive into a torch coral right after being introduced to the tank and got a good sting.

perfectdark

Very cool... I wish mine would host something.. My B&W ocellaris started on my RBTA but now nothing I have no idea why..

tangwhispr

If your clown(s) are in a frogspawn, hammer, torch or LT Plate, it will eventually kill the coral. they can't tolerate the irritation. Spend the money and get an anemone.

perfectdark

Getting an anenome wont guarantee that the clown will leave what it is hosting and use the anenome..
You should use caution if you deceide to get an anenome. They are not friendly to corals and take a bit of knowledge to take care of... The circle of life, sometimes they kill corals and unless you remove one of them theres really not much you can do about it. Clowns will host what they want even a power head.. I have tons of corals in my tank and a BTA and my B&W clown perfers to host my GSP and my Zoa's to an extent.. It hasent even looked at my anenome.

tangwhispr

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
Getting an anenome wont guarantee that the clown will leave what it is hosting and use the anenome..
You should use caution if you deceide to get an anenome. They are not friendly to corals and take a bit of knowledge to take care of... The circle of life, sometimes they kill corals and unless you remove one of them theres really not much you can do about it. Clowns will host what they want even a power head.. I have tons of corals in my tank and a BTA and my B&W clown perfers to host my GSP and my Zoa's to an extent.. It hasent even looked at my anenome.
I aggree, the soulution would be to move the hammer to a QT and introduce an anemone, give the clown no choice

Originally Posted by REEFER545
no worries. glad to be of service. totally common misconception. STILL ASWEET PIC. Heres one of mine that hosts a closed brain. Not a great pic quality, but the brain is down and to the right. Sometimes i swear it is dead but it is just sleeping.
omg how neat is your clownfish!!

aquaknight

BUMP!

Here are mine again. After the loss of the plate, they switch back and forth from the frogspawn to the xenia:

nietzsche

my female made my large hammer coral her home and the male made my colony of zoanthids his couch... he just goes there and lies on top of the zoas when he doesnt want to swim anymore :|