My Coral Beauty won't eat

jpribelin

Ive had my coral beauty for about 3 months now and he is doing very well, but in the past month he won't eat anything i give him at all :(. He won't eat frozen or live brine, freeze dried or live seaweed, or any kind of pelet food. He doesn't seem to be starving though and isn't skinny at all. All day long he just picks at the purple alge on my filters. Why won't he eat anything i give him?

a_fender69

There is any number of reasons why he wont eat! First, check water parameters! You should be monitoring everthing(nitrates, Nitrites, ammonia, Ph, Salt, etc...) if there has been any change for the worse, the fish could be stressed and wont eat.
Second, when you said rock, I guess you mean Live Rock? If so, LR has all kinds of live on it that will naturally feed your fish.
Third, maybe the Coral beauty is eating the food after you have quite watching.
Forth, did you change his diet? If so, go back to what orginally worked. I don't know if you can get this type of frozen food, by Prime Reef is great for all fish and that is what I feed all Mine(angels love it).
Even though you saw him eat for the first 2 months, dosn't mean you will always get to see him eat. Relax, unless you see him getting skinny or acting as if sick, then worry.

nm reef

The addition of garlic to foods sometimes helps to stimulate appitite...I prefer fresh garlic soaked in a bit of tank water then add it to the food....plus mine seems to like formulas 1&2...and sprilina flakes/cubes. :cool:

I agree with the fact that he may eat when you arent looking......I have a CB and he always waits until the food is on the bottom of my tank. Than he will eat it. Also he may be dependent on your liverock and might not want other foods