My dense brain matter and my wet dry filter

twoobem

I am confused about why a wet/dry filter is bad in a reef tank. I understand that a wet/dry quickly converts the first two parts of the nitrogen cycle (ammonia and nitrite) to nitrate and that LR will do the same altough not as quickly and will handle less bio load. Deep in the DSB and LR will also convert nitrate to gas and bubble out of my tank and some of the plants and algae will use the nitrate as a food source )does a wet/dry stop this process?).
Why is any of this bad with a wet/dry filter? Doesn't this give me more capacity in the tank and help compensate for stupid moves like overfeeding.

burnnspy

Because a WD is super effecient compared to LR and LS you get an abundance of Nitrates that cannot be taken up by the lifecycle so it is converted by the next fastest method, red slime bloom.
BurnNSpy

twoobem

BurnNSpy,
Thank you for replying. Thats what I don't understand. How do I get extra nitrates? If my system (bio load) produces an amount of Ammonia and both the LR and the wet/dry converts it to nitrite and then to nitrate.
Don't I get the same amount of nitrate from the wet/dry or LR before the LR and DSB convert the nitrate to gas?

nm reef

My understanding is that eventually the media in a wet/dry actually causes an accumulation of excess nitrates that continue to increase as the wet/dry matures......the wet/dry itself does not reduce the nitrates........the lr & dsb can and does reduce nitrates but with the continued accumulation of nitrates by the wet/dry eventually the system becomes overloaded and cannot keep up.....resulting in excessive nitrates......man I hope that is right and made sense.....if not I look stupid and got my info all wrong....in any case I use a bunch of LR....dsb....and a refugium to maintain zero nitrates :cool: