My Emerald crab double in size over the weekend *PIC*

I have two ECs in my 29 gal.
The smaller one molted over the weekend. So cool to watch by the way, if you never have. He/she molted right out in the open.
Anyway, when it fully emerged this sucker was huge. I still cannot believe the size difference. The pic I attached is the best I could get with the EC next to the old exoskeleton. Amazing I tell you. Check it out. The freshly molted EC is on bottom
Anyone else experience such a dramatic change??
MCF

buzz

I have one that molted twice, and doubled in size each time. He now has claws like Popeye's arms, and is big...I believe they max at between 3"-4" in diameter, so don't worry too much...

benj420

Did their color change before moulting?
MaroonClownFan, the one on the bottom (green) is the old shell and the white on on top is the crab?

Like Buzz said the one on the bottom is the crab. The molt is frozen in time in a cool position so I just left it in my tank. For a while anyway.
The crab started out almost white, but is now a deep awesome green color...
Here is a pic from a week ago...

benj420

The pic from a week ago looks very similar to the color of my emerald. Perhaps he is getting ready to molt.
Any odd behaviors before or after the molt?

buzz

I can't think of any really before, but after, he will hide for a while while his shell hardens. May take a day or so...he may not eat anything given to him, and will probably run if anything gets near it, because it is vulnerable.

Ditto to what Buzz said.
It became a little shy after the molt. Did still eat off the LR though shortly after.
Seemed a little quirky in its movements, like it was getting used to its "new" appendages. (i.e. larger claws and longer legs)
Other than that not alot.......MCF

dsa_mom

Most folks just leave the exoskeleton in the tank and it either deteriorates or is eaten by other critters. Shouldn't cause any change in levels as it is not decomposing like a dead thing. Molting is a sign of a healthy animal.