My experiences.

nige

Some of you might find my methods unorthodox, but I have found that they work.
I have a 37 gallon tank with 5 triggers. I have had my fish for over a year. Yes, they'v grown and I'm a getting ready to get a much larger tank. I've read all sorts of things on this board about things you shouldn't do, things you should do, and for the most part I've come to the understanding that there is no right way. I'm sure people on this board will say that I'm a fool, because everyone knows you can't have five trigger fish living in such a small tank. I've done it, my fish have thrived. When I first started my tank I did have a UV, I've taken it off, doesn't seem to make a difference. Now here's the scary part-
I haven't tested my water in over six months. I don't have the slightest idea what the PH is. I do about a ten gallon water change every 2 weeks and clean/change filter media. My tank is an Eclipse with a fluval 204, that's it. It would be interesting to try this type of tank with different fish. Perhaps triggerfish are just hardy. All I know is that my tank has been a complete success. I'm now worried about getting the new tank. I am currently looking at the new TetraTec filters, anyone have one??
Season's Greeting's. N

toddius

I use one of the tetra tec filters and it works as advertised. I like the wave action and the versatility it provides. I also agree you will proably get flamed but I wont be the one as I have seen a lot of different things in my years of keeping aquariums and nothing surprises me now. It's an on going experiment and information is constantly changing. Goodluck and let us know how things go. ;)

i agree with some of the info on the message board but take it as ideas that you can use and use what works for you. yes you can keep 5 triggers in a 37g tank. the only thing wrong with that is they like alot of room. to swim, hide, grow, eat, and live. the triggers are hardy fish and that is why they are still alive. you can even keep a 2 five foot sharks in a 75g for a year and have the same success. it just sucks for the fish.

fshhub

excactly, it just sucks for the fish, same could be true for the triggers, who knows what the water may be?
that is just like we can survive for a year without a bath, but is it healthy????
or clean clothes
or wiping our .....
we would survive all the above, and hygene aside, it would also not be the best interest for our health either RIGHT?
but then again, maybe you are extremely lucky, and all conditions are well above acceptable
and i do agree, this is not yet a science, but more a hobby of this worked for me, so you should ..... ; based on trial and error more than anything else
and no matter the rule, ther are almos always exceptions
anyhow, good luck from me too
[ December 27, 2001: Message edited by: fshhub ]