My experiment with Heteractis Magnifica start today!!

paxrom

Okay, so I am fed up with all the scares on almost every sites I visit saying oh..this species is for expert only.. "new tank need not apply", says wetwebmedia..blah blah blah. Just for this, I bought a large Heteractis Magnifica for my clowns on 06/10/2008. Let see how long I can keep this thing alive. The tank is set up on 05/03/2008. If you notice my tank is still in the algae cycle stage

and here's the thing 4 days later 06/13/2008

Only thing I regret so far is my clowns don't care much for the anemone

spiderwoman

What is your lighting? Anemone in such a new tank is a bad idea, no matter what type of anemone it is. If you could wait a few months your test would have more validity.

alix2.0

what makes you think you can keep it alive? in such a new tank i think youre going to have big problems. are you at least providing it with its required lighting, peramaters (which must be stable,) etc?

coral keeper

Its looking bad already. If you think the last 2 pictures of the anemone is good, your wrong. Its starting to look bad. It will probably die. Like SpiderWoman said, it isn't a good idea to put an anemone in a new tank.

coral keeper

I've read all his threads and it seems like he has fluorescent lighting on his tank. But he said he was upgrading to MH.

spiderwoman

Better upgrade today if he wants to succeed with that anemone. Based on the way he wrote this is a test on how long he can keep it alive. It's fun to play with living things. Oops I can't believe I said that out loud! Time to take sarcasm off pill.

I think they are supposed to look more like this.
You have to be kidding if you think it looks better than the first day.
I can give you my Paypal info so instead of killing something because you don't care you can just give me the money.

coral keeper

Originally Posted by fishy PA guy
http:///forum/post/2645895
I think they are supposed to look more like this.
You have to be kidding if you think it looks better than the first day.
I can give you my Paypal info so instead of killing something because you don't care you can just give me the money.
VERY nice looking anemone there!

Originally Posted by Coral Keeper
http:///forum/post/2645899
VERY nice looking anemone there!

Thanks.

I actually got that one from SWF.com and it did great.
I then got this one because I couldn't help myself. This one looked soo good and the price was right.

coral keeper

Originally Posted by fishy PA guy
http:///forum/post/2645913
Thanks.

I actually got that one from SWF.com and it did great.
I then got this one because I couldn't help myself. This one looked soo good and the price was right.

Wow! Its very beautiful!!!

Originally Posted by Paxrom
http:///forum/post/2645837
Okay, so I am fed up with all the scares on almost every sites I visit saying oh..this species is for expert only.. "new tank need not apply", says wetwebmedia..blah blah blah. Just for this, I bought a large Heteractis Magnifica for my clowns on 06/10/2008. Let see how long I can keep this thing alive. The tank is set up on 05/03/2008. If you notice my tank is still in the algae cycle stage
and here's the thing 4 days later 06/13/2008
Only thing I regret so far is my clowns don't care much for the anemone
dude. . . have you ever considered everyones says those warnings because there is some truth to it. also, no tank should have an anemone unless it is at least 6 months old. anemones need stable conditions because they are very sensitive. you said yourself the tank is still in ts algae cycle, implying your tank is not stable. i respect your right to do what you want with your money, but have some consideration for the affected animals

lexluethar

Troll...
Come the F--- on, 'lets see how long i can keep this alive'? Are you serious?
Glad you are content with killing things. The anemone looks like crap, and like others have said your lighting and tank are in no condition to house an anemone.

invertcrazy

Well i was gonna add my .02 but Lex, i couldn't put it better myself:+1
Also; fishy PA guy= This person should wish that their anem looks as good as yours. they look awsome.

paxrom

thanks for the encouragement guys and gals. Here's the water parameters tested @ LFS today
ammonia: TR (<0.1ppm)
nitrite: 0
nitrate:0
PH=8.1
sg=1.023
alk=175
and here's the dude today..he hasn't move anywhere since I put him in but I decided to bring him up 1 piece of rock.
oh ya, I also took a cotton swipe on his foot, no smell yet. I'll take him out when he starts to smell.

hops523

^^ So your saying you just want him for a week or two, then when he gets bad your going to give him back? Umm ok... sounds like waste of money to me. And your tank is only a month old, and you got an anemone??Not a good idea.

viper_930

So the experiment is testing whether or not you can keep the anemone alive? I admit I've put anemones into almost brand new tanks and did fine, but you can hardly call this a viable experiment if you're serious.

silverdak

wow... I would guess you would be the type of person that wants to get a kid from someone else just to see if you can somehow learn to take care of it... but if it dies o well who cares it wasnt yours... right? so when it gets tough you just give it away or give it back? thats not right at all, your killing a living creature.... just very very very wrong.

wangotango

When that thing dies it's taking everything else with it. I would tend to beleive a restriction or warning on something too. I guess you don't think smoking causes lung cancer either, or are you going to test that?
-Justin

spiderwoman

Originally Posted by WangoTango
http:///forum/post/2648090
When that thing dies it's taking everything else with it. I would tend to beleive a restriction or warning on something too. I guess you don't think smoking causes lung cancer either, or are you going to test that?
-Justin
Yep, the amount of fish also in the new tank will help the crash process.
Paxrom, if you don't mind me asking, how old are you?

Originally Posted by Paxrom
http:///forum/post/2647960
thanks for the encouragement guys and gals. Here's the water parameters tested @ LFS today
ammonia: TR (<0.1ppm)
nitrite: 0
nitrate:0
PH=8.1
sg=1.023
alk=175
and here's the dude today..he hasn't move anywhere since I put him in but I decided to bring him up 1 piece of rock.
oh ya, I also took a cotton swipe on his foot, no smell yet. I'll take him out when he starts to smell.
I would have to say it looks better today than it did before. I still don't think it looks healthy. The SG could go a little higher but then again you would have to own your own test kits to do that.
What did they test the SG with a Hydrometer?
They won't move unless they can touch something around them to get higher than they already are.
What light are you using since you never answered before?
I am still willing to give you my Paypal info so you can send me some money since you don't listen to anyone.