My first big order, how do i aclimate them best?

king_neptune

Arrow Crab x 1
Copepods - ReefPods x 1bag
Turbo/Astrea Snail - Group of x10
Nassarius Snail - Group of x10
Cerith Snail - Group of x10
Lawnmower Blenny x 1
How would i go about doing this? can I aclimate the arrow crab and snails in the same bin, all 31 at once?
What about the pods?
how do I seed my system with pods? just dump em in?
The blenny I do separately, I understand, but how do I tackle the other items?
thanks

flower

Originally Posted by King_Neptune
http:///forum/post/3122967
Arrow Crab x 1
Copepods - ReefPods x 1bag
Turbo/Astrea Snail - Group of x10
Nassarius Snail - Group of x10
Cerith Snail - Group of x10
Lawnmower Blenny x 1
How would i go about doing this? can I aclimate the arrow crab and snails in the same bin, all 31 at once?
What about the pods?
how do I seed my system with pods? just dump em in?
The blenny I do separately, I understand, but how do I tackle the other items?
thanks

Everyone has thier way...this is just mine.
Lights off...
The snails just float and release them...never the original water...I grab them by the handfull and dump them in.
Crab and blenny seperate and add a little water at a time from the DT or QT...after all is ready to transfer I net them and place them them into the tank.
Pods, I just squeeze the bag of pods right into the tank, no need to float or anything.

cranberry

Pods are for feeding fish and coral.
Here's a recent discussion about acclimation. https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/362728/to-float-or-drip-that-is-the-question

king_neptune

Im doing the drip method. sounds like Ill do three batches.
one for the crab, one for the blenny. one for the snails.
or can have the crab acclimated with the snails. there bye letting me do two batches of acclimation.

cranberry

All bags have different conditions. If you pick up one critter from one bag and put him in another bag to acclimate to the you will be bypassing your whole reasoning for choosing to drip acclimate in the first place.

cranberry

you can't do them all at once? When I use to drip I would have like 15 of them going LOL.
Don't open the bags until it's the critters turn!!! Above all else, don't open them until them.

king_neptune

i guess I could cut up my line, and do all of them at once. I have a 20ft that I use for my roDI top offs. But that's only like 3 bucks at home depot so I spose that is little sacrifice.

king_neptune

Oh to feed him?
I got plenty of algea already in the tank. A grotesque amount. Thats one of the reasons I wanted him.
Also have a turf scrubber down below, that I can feed him with as well. But ya, Ill pick up some sheets as well. Give him some ncie variety. THX.

9supratt4

I've never acclimated snails and they've all survived. I just float them for 15-30 minutes and then drop them in. Just don't add the water from the bag.

king_neptune

they were shipped with pit-tens in water. I'm appalled personally. But oh well. Like literally 1cup each container.
I have the drip going extremely slow to compensate. Im hoping for an hour acclimation at least on the fish and crab(separate containers of course).
The snails Im floating for 30 min then Ill release them. But they dont look alive :(
They were all bunched up, some of them out of the water there was so little.
the nass snails Im almost positive were dead. The bag was empty, and when I opened it, it was foul! I put up a post on a different thread with more details right below this one.
On the plus side, the blenny looks like hes happy to see me. Watched me intently as I picked up the bag. I really like him already!

king_neptune

Blenny is in. swam up to a rock and perched. Been watching me for an hour. I will call him scooter!
The arrow crab went in and went to town right away. I will call him bert!

Snails i put in and righted them a.. Cant remember which ones are the kind that cant right them selves. but most of them haven't moved yet. only a couple have. So I'm un-descided which ones are alive ect. I guess Ill find out in a couple days.