my first casulty

kiger

I have my 29 gallon set up in my office. It's been running about 2 months now and I have suffered my first loss. I came in this morning to find my diamond spotted gobie on the floor. I am very sad. This was the first fish I added and he and I were getting along very well. I didn't realize they were jumpers.

wanabebell

really sorry about that
buying aquacultered animals usually help that,
im surpised that the fish didnt do it sooner
most jumpers will do it in the first few weeks in the tank
sorry

fishmamma

I am very sorry to hear about your gobie. It sucks to lose a fish, especially that way. In the future if you house any jumpers go and get some black landscaping netting, cut to size and secure to every opening in the top of your tank, leave no space open or they will find the smallest crevice to abandon ship from. This isn't a guarentee but I have heard it helps quite a bit from my trusted LFS. Many shops that sell ponds will have this stuff on hand and may cut you a section.

S

shark bait

Jumping fish, fyi if you work in a building where you can smoke or is cleaned at night things like odd smell and stukk can get in to the water and cause the fish to itch, and jump out of the water. Other than your fish is a jumper, but just a thought about an office tank, i have one but CA is a non smoking state, and my cleaning crew uses only water in my office for this reason.