My First Coral

mr_x

you can break it off of the plug if you want. it's only glued. i would leave it on the plug though.
as for what to do next-care for the coral.

tr1gger

Originally Posted by Mr_X
http:///forum/post/2721156
you can break it off of the plug if you want. it's only glued. i would leave it on the plug though.
as for what to do next-care for the coral.
I meant like... just set it on a rock, or does it need to be re glued ? A lil info on that would be awesome, and you say break YOWCH. Im a lil scared

cedarreef

you can just set it on top of the rocks, or wedge the plug in between some rocks to hide the plug, but I wouldn't take the plug off. Just let it grow around it, and once it does that, it should start building its skeleton on your rocks. n awesome little frogspawn you got there!

mr_x

a frogspawn will not encrust on it's surroundings. it will make it's own skeleton from there on. it will never "attach" to anything it's not glued to.

rcoultas

I agree with Mr X - the frog can easily be detached from the plug it is glued to and re-glued to a rock in your aquarium - best done out of water with super glue gel (dry both surfaces being attached) - it is really a simple process - it can, if need be be performed under water as well.

mattyp75

Don't let all this talk of breaking and gluing get you down, corals are way tougher than we sometimes give them credit for. Since this is your first piece, keeping it semi mobile would probably be a good idea. Frogspawn can send out some pretty long sweeper tentacles and as you add more corals, you will want to keep them out of reach of froggy. It looks like you've got the plug wedged in pretty good there so I think you're off to a good start. Pretty soon you won't even be able to see the base anyway, they grow like crazy, even under pc lighting. I have to frag my frogspawn all the time. Oh yeah, it won't encrust, it grows like a tree, and it likes plenty of calcium to build a nice strong skeleton.

tr1gger

Yeh i have a nice piece of LR that has some "plug size" holes in it. Thanks for the info. Tell me more about calcium ?

paintballer768

Originally Posted by tr1gger
http:///forum/post/2721775
Yeh i have a nice piece of LR that has some "plug size" holes in it. Thanks for the info. Tell me more about calcium ?
In very simple terms, calcium is needed for the coral to make more branches and such. Using a calcium test kit will give you the reading and youre going to want to aim for the 400-450 ppm range. Doing weekly/biweekly changes will, in most cases, be more than enough to maintain proper levels.