My first mantis!

fretfreak13

And no, I'm not trying to kill it. XD I was planning on buying a Peacock mantis this summer. I have done the research on them, and have a thirty long upstairs in my room but the dresser needs to be leveled. Dispite reading up on them, just like most critters (no good saltwater places around), I had never seen one in person. So when I walked into the LFS to buy phyto and I saw this guy, I couldn't pass him up. Luckily my boyfriend was taking down his ten gallon (lost battle with ich, no copper used) so I took all his liverock. I didn't use his sand, too fine and it was covered in cyano, so I used a mix of crushed coral and LS from my sump.
Anyways, I want to say its a male, and I'm 99.9999999% sure its a G.smithii (matched him up with pics on Roy's list). I'll post pics of his tank very soon, and I wish my camera was charged when I first put him in! He explored out in the open and displayed beautifully for about an hour or so! Now that he's found his pipe burrow (it's not PVC, its a flexy thing lol) he hasn't come out much. He also already beat the living daylights out of, and ate, a margarita snail within the first two hours he was in the tank. I'm happy he's content. lol
So when I bought him I didn't have the tank set up. He spent last night in a breeders net hanging in my reef, covered with a sheet of plexy. We put up the tank at about five, I waited a couple hours and tested the water (all seemed good), and in he went. I figured that if there was going to be a spike, it would have been from the sand being stirred because the LR never left water. Hopefully I'm not wrong about that one.
Anyways, I need a name for this guy. My bestie wants me to name him Little Richard, my boyfriend wants McLovin', and my mom wants a name that should be censored. I have no idea what I want. lol Anyone have any awesome names?
10 gallon
HOB filter with carbon
Current Sundial T5s (18")
15 lbs of LR
8-10 lbs of LS w/ CC
G.smithii mantis
Anthelia
GSP
Green Sinularia
Candy Cane
Pipe Organ
A crudload of cheato
Also, instead of getting the peacock (I'm happy with just this guy), I'll be getting a dwarf lion this summer instead. ^_______^

fretfreak13

Thank you. =) I've very pleased with how it came out, aquascape-wise. Besides where the tunnel is, I just kinda threw the rocks in there because the tank was so cloudy from me messing with the sand. When it all settled I barely had to move them around, I liked where they were.
I need a new avatar...xD *too lazy to PS*

fretfreak13

Uploading vids on youtube now. Ugh it takes forever...my Channel is Fretfreak13 though, if you guys wanna check them out. Bad quality, and I sound like a boy. ><

btldreef

Nice! Good luck...
When I'm done with my Orange Spotted Filefish adventures, I plan on starting a mantis tank (my husband is going to divorce me before our 1 year anniversary if I keep this up, LOL). At least he got a new car, that should get me like 3 more tanks, right?

nwdyr

VERY COOL!!! love the 2nd video
I need to find a mantis baadddd!!! I drove through a snow storm last Fri. night to get some LR and water from my friends established 150gal tank just so I could set this thing up fast...and now I wait.... until then I will just enjoy your tank!

S

shrimpy brains

Hey, found your thread!
Your tank looks great, and your Mantis seems pretty active in the videos!
Awesome!

S

shrimpy brains

I'm betting the pics dissappeared when they reformatted the site. The videos are still there!!