My first post

gta333

What a Great site this Is. I just set up my first saltwater tank. I run a 1600 gallon fresh water hatchery and had a 40 gallon breeder tank that I just set up a couple weeks ago. I put 30 lbs of live rock in already planning on getting some more this week-end. Then I plan on adding the sand to the tank. Last night after watching I noticed a thing that acted like a centipeed. brightly colored with some purple to it. I notice it was eating some growth on my live rocks. I have tried to find a picture of it on-line to see if this is a good pest or a bad one. I wil try to take a pic of it this week-end. My question also is after I get my base rocks set in place can I go ahead and add my sand to the tank. This is all new to me but will say that I have been missing out as these seems like its going to be alot of fun. Have a Great Day and God Bless Gary

noah's nemo

Welcome
I am new member also.I agree that this is a great site.99% of the people on here are very helpful and friendly.
Someone here will surely be able to help.

lecithin

Is your LR cured? If its not cured and its in the tank then wait to add the sand until later because you will have to vacuum out some of the die off.
If it is cured then you should be able to add some sand, there is some debate on the best way to do it without having it shoot all over the place. I've heard pouring it down a piece of PVC pipe works well (one that reaches to the bottom of the tank). You could also just put it in a cup and cover it with you other hand as you bring it down (thus limiting how much flies out). I'm sure there is a few more ways people will mention.
Good luck!

mcbdz

Welcome to SWF
Sounds like you are doing good.
Yeah there are lots of ways to add your sand. I put the bag under the water at the bottom, cut open the bag, and gentally turned it over. The less you stir it up the better. If you are useing dry sand then you need to rinse it until water is clear before you add it to the tank.
Make sure you keep a close eye on your amm. level and don't let it go above 1 ppm.
Keep saltwater mixing for water change if needed.
Look up bristleworms and see if that is what you have.

gta333

Thanks for everyones replies. I tried looking up pictures this morning. Cant find any that looks like the one I saw. Infact This morning when I turned on the lite there was another kind along the rocks. Looked like a white string that quickly pulled itself back into a hole in the rocks. This is alot differant than freshwater tanks. I just hope I dont have any pest that should not be in there. Thanks gary

hammerhed7

welcome to the board, the critter you saw is most likely a bristle worm, just don't try to remove it by hand.

gta333

So should I try to remove it. I just wonder How many more are hiding that I have not seen Yet. Gary

mcbdz

I leave mine in. Just another part of the clean up crew. Some people remove them if they get too big. I haven't had any issues with any as of 1 year.

You'll be amazed at what you'll see.
You can just spend hours stareing at the rock and weekly, if not daily, see something new. Way cool

bjoe23

Hi and Welcome to the boards. Well love pics and also try to get 10-30 more lbs of LR. Add sand, check all your levels and sooner or later you have fish in your tank. Keep us updated with your progress