My first reef its running

fefo23

ok after 6 month of reserch my first reef is running or cycling. But i have a question on cycling, i got some sand and live rock from somwone who was taken down a 75 gal tank, like 10 to 15lb of sand and 60lb of rock the guy have running for more then 2 yerars, and I add 40lb of live sand caribe sea, so 3 days ater i put the rock I see some coral in the rock but seems are doing ok mushrooms are open. Also have in the sand snails and brittle worm show up today in one of the rocks, i have some red algee in the walls of the tank i check water and no amonia nitrites are find and ph is 8.3 so far. what"s the stage of cycling i am? :help:

kanicky

Your post is a little confusing. Maybe space out your sentences and it will be a little easier to read, 'kay?

That said, we wouldn't know whether or not you're cycling as of yet. I'd suggest putting a raw shrimp in the tank, testing your parameters every day until you see a spike in ammonia, then take the shrimp out and continue testing until the ammonia and nitrites are at 0.
Your cycle may not take as long since you have established LR and LS, but you still want to see some kind of cycle...
Can you please post your exact tank parameters, which includes
pH
Ammonia
Nitrites
Nitrates
Also, are you sure it's red algae? You might have red slime algae, which you would need to treat your tank for.
You mentioned that you have some corals and mushrooms... do you have sufficient lighting for these things? Just wondering

fefo23

yes i have a retro kit from coralife and check my water a few minutes ago and no amonia nitirtes and 0.5 nitrates also alk is 140ppm ph is 8.4 sg1.023

fefo23

evrey day i see a new sroom in one of the rock they are all over the place. so to call this tank cycle y shall wait for coralin algee to come up or just my water have nothing at all

earlybird

Originally Posted by fefo23
evrey day i see a new sroom in one of the rock they are all over the place. so to call this tank cycle y shall wait for coralin algee to come up or just my water have nothing at all
The appearance or reapperance of coraline has nothing to do with your cycle. Some never get coraline or it takes a long time. Your cycle is complete when ammonia and nitrite read zero and you have nitrates.

renogaw

i'd bet that since he used live rock from an existing setup, the cycle will be minimal and ammonia may not even show up.