My First Starfish

blue dew

I noticed this little guy this morning. I certainly didn't expect something like this as a hitchhiker on my rock! By chance, does anyone have any ideas what kind he might be. I know the picture isn't great, but he's smaller than a dime and my digital isn't the best. He's the same brown color as most of my rock.
Hope he makes it through the rest of the cycle. Ammonia is zero and nitrites are getting really close to zero. Lots of worms are showing up and the hitchhiker mushroom is getting bigger too.
Thanks,
Dew

pittsburgh23

Funny, but I have the same thing which also came as a hitchiker. Mine is exactly the same, dime sized, and also 3 longer and 3 shorter points.
Looking around on the net, I think its a Bermuda Starfish.
My tank is only 2 weeks old, still cycling, but starfish is doing great. Mine stays in the same rock it came on though. Hiding some days and coming out others.

cboyfan2020

i think they are a mini star of some kind. they dont get much bigger but they will multiply fast if that is indeed what it is.

blue dew

Thanks for the replies. I just got home and the starfish is hanging in there. He's completly on the other side of the tank from where he was at this morning. It would be cool if it does multiply, as long as they don't get huge and munch up everything I want to eventually get growing in the tank. So far, he is the only one I've found.
Dew

he's in the lankia family. your lucky that he has six legs. this usually doesnt happen but it isnt that uncommon. they usually get pretty big but not huge. just dont put any aggressive fish or big hermit crabs with him because your hitchhiker will become roadkill.

justinx

I disagree with the last comment. It is NOT a linkia. I really cant tell you what species it is, but they are a common hitchhiker. Make sure that you pay attention to it in the longrun when you get some corals as there is a starfish that looks almost identical that eats corals. But more than likely this is not it as those are rather uncommon. The reason that the arms are different length is because that is how they reproduce, by splitting into two. Each half then regrows new appendages and then there are two. This starfish will not grow larger than what it is now, and most likely will only eat algae, etc. Fairly common hithchiker. That wil more than likely survive the cycle, mine did as do many others. that and hermit crabs, etc. wont bother it.

tamstoy

I believe the scientific name is (asterina sp.) They are supposed to be harmless and multiply greatly!!

Yes....they do multiply fairly quilckly. They don't get any larger than a dime typically. I have a bunch in my tank and they don't seem to do anything but eat algea. So in my observations they are harmless. They multiply by dropping legs which grow into new stars.
They are not in the Linckia family. And I believe the common name is Asterina (but not sure). They are generally hard to kill in my experience. I threw some in fresh saltwater, no bacteria, the other day and they are fine 4 days later with just a little green algea to eat.
I can't comment as to whether they are completely harmless to corals, but the don't seem to be interested in my green star polyps, so I don't bother removing them. I will eventually move the majority of them to my refugium.
Thats all...HTH..........MCF

I read an article that stated many Asterina stars are SPS coral eaters. It is almost impossible to tell which ones are or aren't. So I would treat all of them like they were.
I personally am going to move them to my refugium where I won't have to worry either way.
On a brighter note.....they can be used as a food source for Harlequin shrimp, since their diet consists wholly on starfish, as stated by the author of the article.
MCF

jedininja

The star pictured is an asterina star. And it is true that some do eat corals, but that is the minority. Most eat algae and deterius. I would not go and waste them by killing them. Most hitch-hikers are beneficial to your tank and add diversity. All I would do is watch them and only get rid of them is you constantly seeing them on your coral. I have had these little guys in my tank for over a year now and the ones I have are harmless. The multiply like crazy and you will often see them looking deformed without full legs. That is because they break off to multiply. I started with one in my tank and now I have dozens and I think they add a cool look to the tank.

ophiura

The ID as an Asterina star is correct. The overwhelming majority are fine, a very few are SPS eaters...and GARF is completely wrong to implicate them all. Size, number of arms and color are useless in identification. Most will wander on the rocks and glass. However, I suspect reports of some eating SPS corals are questionable. They will most certainly however be drawn to weak, sick or dead corals, often long before we know that something is going wrong.
Most are not problems at all, and are a welcome and common addition to a tank.

blue dew

Thanks for all the information!
So far, thats the only one I've seen and the last time was a day ago. I think it would be very hard to spot on the rock dur to it's coloring and fact that it moved very slow. I hope it multiplies over time.
Dew

tjkohler

MaroonClownFan,
I also live in Michigan (West Bloomfield). If you don't want the Asterina, I would love to pick him up. I'm trying to breed them so that I can feed my harlequins them.

justinx

chances are good you already have them and just dont know it.
tj,
Also, its nice to see others from the detroit area around here. I lived in farminton hills for a few years, and now am in Northville.