My first sting

jackri

I was in my tank doing this or that and brushed up against my frogspawn which I've done before but this time I got a pretty good little sting from it. More surprised me than anything but did feel like a pretty good mosquito bite. I guess I'll have to be more careful in the future.

S

shrimpy brains

Are yousure it was the frogspawn and there couldn't have been a bristleworm or something else there? Reason I ask is, I have touched mine on many occasions. Wondering if I should be more cautious in the future?

jackri

Yeah it was pretty high in the tank.. but then I wonder if one of my fish zipped in and bit me but I clearly backed my hand into the frogspawn. It left a little mark but no pain or irritation other than the quick sting.

flower

I never knew they could sting me!!!

I don't have one now, but I was going to order a torch, and I heard they can sting, but I tought they meant they sting other coral.

fretfreak13

I got stung by my torch when I first started the hobby. To me it felt like an electrical zap, mainly in the sence that it was all tingly for awhile after. No marks though, but it scared the poop out of me. xD

skate020

lol, ive never been stung by my hammer and ive touched it loads!, been stung by my lion tho, now that is something you DEFFINATELY want to avoid, core that hurts

nissan577

i got stung by my Frogspawn and man like stated above it was all tingly for a while then it went away. but i saw i had a cut that there so yea thats why i got stung. the frogspawn touch my cut.

king_neptune

I remember that one. I was just thinking of that when I read the OP. Thanks for saving it. Everyone should read it. you need to have a healthy respect for stuff in your tank. I myself got stung by a bristle worm the other day because I dug around in the sand.

T

tizzo

I have handled many many frogs, torches and hammers (being that I work in a LFS) and most often, I felt nothing. When I did it was minute, but the ones straight outa the ocean, they packed a punch!!
What I mean is, when they first arrived, they were potent. Then I assume they got depressed and lost some bite...
Oh and if I had a cut, forget it! It felt like someone poured pure alcohol in my wounds!!

jackri

Was in cleaning again and got another little sting. My frogspawn is pretty big and expected it this time but wasn't near as bad :)
Chances you take I guess lol

fretfreak13

Never got stung by my bubbletip either, but like I said I got a whack from my torch. I guess they all have different personalities like fish. lol

wangotango

Some people are just more senstive than others. I rub my hands against my corals and have handled my BTA before without issues (other than maybe a tingle).
Coral slime and bacteria is definately something to be careful about, especially while fragging, or if you have cuts on your hands. Found that out the hard way...

Originally Posted by JAXFishGirl
http:///forum/post/3232785
wow, I just read through that whole blog. I will always wear gloves. Insane
I always wear gloves too I have a box right next to my tank I grab a new pair everytime. It's weird touching some of the corals with my bare hands, I don't have anything that would sting me though.