My first tank pics!!!

famous

Let me know what you think, any suggestions? I know that I need to add to my clean up crew, right now its only about 10 blue leg hermits. :happyfish

tiluhill

Tank looks great. Were those two anenomes in the top picture put there or did they just pop up? They look like majanos. If so, the are bad, they will choke out other corals. Great tank though!

tiluhill

I used Joe's Juice, seemed to do OK. If you don't want to fork out the money for the Joe's, i also put boiling hot water in a syrenge, and stuck it right in its mouth, and discharged it. They will chok out your corals and can sting fish. I thought they were kinda cool loking until I found out what they were!

famous

Yeah me too. I was actually kind of proud of somthing growing on its own. Go figure it would be somthing bad

propynyl

Hey everyone, I am finally taking the plunge and buying a saltwater tank. I plan on setting up a seahorse tank in a 20-30 gallon tank. Anyways, here is my list for DAY 1 PURCHASES:
1) Tank / stand
2) Salt and Distilled water
3) Sand
4) Live Rock
5) Filter (do I need this on day 1?)
6) Testing kits
7) Powerhead for water circulation
8) Heater/thermometer
1 more question: Does anyone recommend the "all in one aquariums?" If so, can you recommend good ones in the 29 galln range?
Thanks! Cant wait!
-propynyl

rbrockm1

i have a 29g, stand, timer MH lighting with external lunar lighting and 100w heater. i am wanting to get rid of this. let me know

hot883

Welcome to the boards. I like the tank, looks really nice.
I would suggest getting sponges to cover the power head intakes before the anemones find them and then you have a dead anemone and their stuff ALL over the tank.
Other than that.
Barry

famous

Just stick a sponge over the bottom? Are there ones made for that or do you just cut one? The stuff the LFS leaves out! Over the one for the skimmer too?

hot883

Originally Posted by Famous
Just stick a sponge over the bottom? Are there ones made for that or do you just cut one? The stuff the LFS leaves out! Over the one for the skimmer too?
Alot of LFS sell the sponges for the intakes. Cover everything that "sucks" water. Anemones move around and it is not uncommon for someone to post on here how their anemone got shredded in the intake of a powerhead. It is a real course sponge, not like a kitchen sponge.

famous

Sweet, Ill head on over to the store tomorrow morning for some...Any chance you know what kind of anenome that I have in the pic? The big long tenticle one?

nigerbang

Sweet, Ill head on over to the store tomorrow morning for some...Any chance you know what kind of anenome that I have in the pic? The big long tenticle one?
Looks like a Condi

hot883

Famous, what color is the foot (of anemone)? Orange etc?