MY first tank

halostalker

Hey, im new to this hobby and i just started a saltwater tank as a experiment, my LFS said i can't start a small saltwater tank they said it must be at least a 30 gallon and so on..... so i started a 10 my friend started a 5 gallon lmao. So the reason i went so small is b/c its a experiment to see how to take care of a tank and so on and the main reason is im 17 and i can't spend a crazy amount of money on my dream tank=P. I had a 10 gallon in my house that wasn't used(i love all animals and i have alot of pets) so i was thinking i should start a cool fish tank, i had fresh water tanks before but i had a new interest and that was a reef tank. so i bought what i needed and some stuff i already had
10 gallon tank: i already had in my house
light: i had one from a fresh water tank 15watt
heater: bought
filter:bought
live sand: bought with a friend and we split it
salt: bought
I got all i needed i had the whole tank running with the live sand for about a week and i kind of forgot to mention i read up on everything for at least a month 1/2 before i started anything and i spent alot of time at the petstore talking to the guys and looking at all the crazy fish. i already had my favorites, i wanted to cycle my tank and i wanted to do it quickly and remember i have a limited amount of money so i can't go all fancy and buy alot of live rock at once so i buy small peices from LFS for about $5-$10 a rock so i bought one nice looking rock and had that in the tank for about another week then i bought a couple of hermit crabs and had them in the tank for another week then i took a small sample of my water to my LFS to get it tested(didn't have money to get a fancy test kite) so every thing looked alright, i was planning on speeding the cycling process by geting a fish (which i thought would be a damsel), but at the time i went to get the damsel they just got in new fish and i almost peed my pants when i saw they got a baby panther grouper(i loved the big panthers they had at the store and had no idea they came so small) and i asked if i can get that to cycle my tank and they gave me a great cheap price and i brought it home then i got other cool fish later well i'll just list them b/c i can write a book about my little summer project, so my tank has
7lbs live rock
5 mushrooms
3 button polyp
2 green polyp anemones
1 pretty anemone(don't know what it is but i got it at the LFS and it pretty and looks like a nice specimen)
2 hermitcrabs
1 weird little mussle( i like it it has some cool neon colors on it)
1 coral banded shrimp
panther grouper
lion fish
niger triggerfish
pensil urchin
and another assortment of things that come with the rock(feather duster, snails, small startfish,worms and other things=P) So this is my 10gallon and i have had it for 3 1/2 months with no problems =P all fish r healthy and everything that i listed above is doing great. well im still observing my tank and learning new things and i can't wait for my dream 10,000 gallon tank lmao thanx for reading =P

larryndana

wow, where does one begin....
first go to the archives & faq forum and read read read read....much to learn
reason your lfs didn't want you to get a small tank is it is harder to keep up your water conditions.
fresh water 15watt light?....1 pretty anemone?....two green polyp anemones?....
I don't think this is a serious post....huh?

zanski

Originally Posted by HaloStalker
Hey, im new to this hobby and i just started a saltwater tank as a experiment, my LFS said i can't start a small saltwater tank they said it must be at least a 30 gallon and so on..... so i started a 10 my friend started a 5 gallon lmao. So the reason i went so small is b/c its a experiment to see how to take care of a tank and so on and the main reason is im 17 and i can't spend a crazy amount of money on my dream tank=P. I had a 10 gallon in my house that wasn't used(i love all animals and i have alot of pets) so i was thinking i should start a cool fish tank, i had fresh water tanks before but i had a new interest and that was a reef tank. so i bought what i needed and some stuff i already had
10 gallon tank: i already had in my house
light: i had one from a fresh water tank 15watt
heater: bought
filter:bought
live sand: bought with a friend and we split it
salt: bought
I got all i needed i had the whole tank running with the live sand for about a week and i kind of forgot to mention i read up on everything for at least a month 1/2 before i started anything and i spent alot of time at the petstore talking to the guys and looking at all the crazy fish. i already had my favorites, i wanted to cycle my tank and i wanted to do it quickly and remember i have a limited amount of money so i can't go all fancy and buy alot of live rock at once so i buy small peices from LFS for about $5-$10 a rock so i bought one nice looking rock and had that in the tank for about another week then i bought a couple of hermit crabs and had them in the tank for another week then i took a small sample of my water to my LFS to get it tested(didn't have money to get a fancy test kite) so every thing looked alright, i was planning on speeding the cycling process by geting a fish (which i thought would be a damsel), but at the time i went to get the damsel they just got in new fish and i almost peed my pants when i saw they got a baby panther grouper(i loved the big panthers they had at the store and had no idea they came so small) and i asked if i can get that to cycle my tank and they gave me a great cheap price and i brought it home then i got other cool fish later well i'll just list them b/c i can write a book about my little summer project, so my tank has
7lbs live rock
5 mushrooms
3 button polyp
2 green polyp anemones
1 pretty anemone(don't know what it is but i got it at the LFS and it pretty and looks like a nice specimen)
2 hermitcrabs
1 weird little mussle( i like it it has some cool neon colors on it)
1 coral banded shrimp
panther grouper
lion fish
niger triggerfish
pensil urchin
and another assortment of things that come with the rock(feather duster, snails, small startfish,worms and other things=P) So this is my 10gallon and i have had it for 3 1/2 months with no problems =P all fish r healthy and everything that i listed above is doing great. well im still observing my tank and learning new things and i can't wait for my dream 10,000 gallon tank lmao thanx for reading =P
DUDE YOU HAVE GOT TO POST A PIC OF YOUR TANK, I GOTTA SEE THIS!!! :thinking:

nctarheels

Originally Posted by NigerBang

gotta be a troll
im almost 100 percent sure. its impossible to fit all of those fish together. the panther groupers come small, but only about 3 inches. so nobody post on this anymore

whiteelite

im the friend with the five gallon and the one he split the sand with . he lives down the blokk from me and he really does have it. he also juss got a sea hare about an hour ago from the LFS.
p.s- wat is a troll

wangotango

you said you wanted to learn from a smaller tank, and with what you have now i think you will be learning the hard way. please please please do some research! i read every book and visited every website before i bought my first tank, and even then i still didnt know enough. i and everyone else here dont mean to flame you, but going on an impulse on your first tank is not the way to go.

skillplyr55

I would have to agree with the last post i think you will learn the hard way I cant beleive your local fish store would sell you all that livestock if they knew you had such a small tank may be they just dont care anyway if i were you i would be trying to get some money for some of that stuff before its too late.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by HaloStalker
(i love all animals and i have alot of pets)
If you loved animals you would provide the proper habitat for them.
You said you read up on salt water tanks for a month and a half so. Where and what did you read exactly?

fishy head

omg
that is so sad
,, you must get rid of the lion and the triggers
i would start over again
please those fish do not belong in such a small tank

fishy head

also he wants a 10,000 gallon tank too :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

zanski

Originally Posted by fishy head
also he wants a 10,000 gallon tank too :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:
heck he will probably put a dozen blue whales in that! :hilarious

lion_crazz

The harrassement and name-calling ends here. He already acknowledged everyone in the other thread and stated that he is thankful that people let him know of his current problems. He also stated that the fish are going back to the pet store very soon.
A word to those giving advice - No advice will be listened to or followed if it is given in an angry or hostile way.
:happyfish