My first trip to california

jennythebugg

Me and my kids will probably be traveling with bob to california this spring break for a coupla days to visit with tobin and bobs sister ...what is there to do in the El Cajon area or close to it ? I want to see the ocean while we are so close to it but I don't wanna get et by a shark
any must sees

socal57che

Originally Posted by jennythebugg
http:///forum/post/2963601
Me and my kids will probably be traveling with bob to california this spring break for a coupla days to visit with tobin and bobs sister ...what is there to do in the El Cajon area or close to it ? I want to see the ocean while we are so close to it but I don't wanna get et by a shark
any must sees

Um...don't worry about sharks. GET IN THE WATER! Body surf.
El Cajon is pretty far south, but there is Hotel del Coronado to see and hit the beach on Coronado Island.
SeaWorld
Birch Aquarium at Scripps (ok, but not a must see)
Maritime museum in San Diego

K

kikithemermaid

Hm, SeaWorld? I don't know where El Cajon is, but Santa Barbara is a must see once in your life!
I know, I'm biased because I live here...
Have fun!!!! And I saw a shark once but only while I was surfing.

reefraff

Black's beach is an easy drive from there

April isnt a great beach month in cal, water is still pretty cold but if you can handle it there aren't big crowds.

t316

Off thread topic question here.....I'm hearing more and more about Bob and how much time you two are spending together. Are you two...you know?

A

aj92124

Lets see...
Sea World
lots of beaches (la jolla)
Tijuana
LFS
the zoo isnt to far
wild animal park
birch aquarium in la jolla
thats all i can think of right now

socal57che

I would avoid TJ right now. I work in PB with a TJ resident who drives over every day. Tons of peeps still go, but I won't. Especially with kids.
That reminds me, just recently a man who had a life history of helping abandoned animals was arrested for selling dog meat to taco venders. It was in a TJ newspaper.

But, LaJolla, yes...go to LaJolla and see the harbor seals.
Cabrillo National Monument is nice, too. Hike down to the tidepools.

mantisman51

The water is a LITTLE cold? How about body part-numbing cold? When I was their 2 weeks ago, I started to go in and came out faster. San Diego zoo is pretty cool. Santa Barbara is about 4 1/2 hours north, on a good traffic day through LA.

socal57che

Originally Posted by mantisman51
http:///forum/post/2963790
The water is a LITTLE cold? How about body part-numbing cold? When I was their 2 weeks ago, I started to go in and came out faster. San Diego zoo is pretty cool. Santa Barbara is about 4 1/2 hours north, on a good traffic day through LA.
Jenn, you can't come all the way from Okie and not get in the water.

sigmachris

Some people need to look at a map before chiming in. El Cahon is a suburb of San Diego.
Santa Barbra is at least 4 hours away by car.
Aquarium of Pacific is in Long Beach and 2 hours away, not worth it in opinion.
Don't let the boys fool you into Blacks Beach, it is clothing optional.
SD Zoo is one of the finest in world. Near by is Balboa Park with some neat museums and gardens.
La Jolla is nice to visit, kind of like Rodeo Drive on the water.
Pacific Beach (PB) and Mission Beach (MB) are neat to visit, more casual...
TJ (Tiajuna) isn't worth the risk..
Seaport Village in downtown San Diego is a nice tourist trap to visit. Nearby is the USS Midway that you can tour if anyone in your family is into aircraft carriers or military planes.
Gaslamp district in downtown is fun for night life.
Old Town, just north of downtown is where to go for your Mexican dinner.
You must have In N Out burgers while there, they will put your Watta Burger to shame. Try a cheese burger animal style...
If the Padres are in town, their new downtown ball park is nice.
If your sister has to work and you want to get around town, the Trolley system is pretty good. From El Cahon you can get to all the places I mentioned above except for La Jolla, Pacific / Misson Beach by trolley. I think $5 gives you unlimited rides all day.
Have fun,
Chris

jennythebugg

---if theres a nekkid beach im there !!
---yes i started seeing bob
---we are driving cause were all skeered of planes

---
i'm not an okie!

---thanks for all the input , i'm real excited i havent gone out of state for like 3 years

socal57che

Originally Posted by jennythebugg
http:///forum/post/2964184
---
i'm not an okie!

Oops,...and I knew that...brain fart, sorry Jenn.

Umm. Blacks Beach...yeah. It's a little breezy for Blacks Beach this time of year. Someone could lose an eye.

If you have a few minutes (maybe a couple hours) to stop by the Petrified Forest/Painted Desert National Park on your way, I think it's worh the time. Time your trip so you get there in the morning. It's beautiful at sunrise.