my fish keep dying but my inverts are fine!!

marine7198

hey maybe someone can help me figure this out.....i have a 29 gallon tank thats been set up for about 8-9 months now...26 pound of LR 25 pounds of sand. my levels are ph-8.2 ammonia-0 nitrite-0 nitrate-5 phos-0 temp 79 i have a toadstool leather a red mushroom and a small piece of kenya tree and a small condi. all with there own space to grow. i have approx 15 crabs 5 snails a serpent star and a coral banded shrimp. everything in my tank is doing good no problems at all. but whenever i add fish they start breathing heavy after a few days and then just die. i dont get it. ive tried adding clowns after 2 week quarantine and yellowtail damsels after my cycle 5 months ago and those 2 died. can anyone help me out? is there something im doing wrong i use the drip acclimation method before they go into quarantine then they always die in my display.

hlcroghan

Sounds like they are suffocating. You may have an oxygen deficiency in your tank. Do you have one of your powerheads aimed at the surface for some oxygen exchange? You don't want bubbles in your water column but the surface can't be flat without ripples to break the surface like waves.

sepulatian

Please explain how they are acting prior to death. By giving as many details as you can about your tank, parameters, list all equipment, any changes recently, etc., we will be able to help you much faster.

marine7198

hlcroghan - yea i have a auqa clear 30 pointed at the surface, its constantly creating little waves at the surface
meowzer- i have a aqua clear 100 filter with chem pure elite and a floss filter pad, and i also have a seaclone 100 skimmer and my sg is 1.024 salinity 34ppt

1journeyman

Measure your pH after the lights have been off and the tank has been dark for about 6 hours and post results.

flower

This may seem a silly question...Forgive me if it is.
You wrote: is there something im doing wrong i use the drip acclimation method before they go into quarantine then they always die in my display.
So I am asking, did you acclimate the fish before putting it in the display tank from quarantine?

sueandherzoo

Hope you find your answer and, if you do, please share it with me. I've had/still am having the same problem: https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/343711/killer-tank-strikes-again
Sue
P.S. Corals and inverts are doing great in that tank.

salt life

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/2994429
This may seem a silly question...Forgive me if it is.
You wrote: is there something im doing wrong i use the drip acclimation method before they go into quarantine then they always die in my display.
So I am asking, did you acclimate the fish before putting it in the display tank from quarantine?
I think that is a good question flower, do you have the same salinity/temp/ph in the QT and DT? if you don't, it might be shocking the fish causing it to die. but that is just my guess.