My Freshwater Jones Soda Tank

S

spencers

I got bored and have missed having a freshwater tank...lol. It is actually somewhat legit. Under the substate is a piece of sponge to help harbor good bacteria and a heat pad under the "tank" to help keep it at about 78degrees. Cleaning is should be interesting though.

S

spencers

For a neon tetra?....not exactaly a tang here. Have you ever watched a neon tetra in like a 10gallon? all they do is sit in one place and twitch anyway. Freshwater fish are not nearly as sensitive to small spaces like swf. He has a lot of up and down room for his little size too + he is full grone. I can't believe I am trying to defend a $.99 fish!

coraljunky

Originally Posted by bjoe23
thats like torture (sp?) for that neon
Yeah, the least they should be in is a 2 liter bottle

S

spencers

It really isn't as small as it seems. At first I thought about doing a female betta...but I realized a betta would be harder to get out for proper cleaning.

itom37

Though none of us in this hobby are innocent when it comes to putting things in tiny places that they don't belong, that's quite extreme and pretty sad looking.

1journeyman

I like the concept, it's clever, but I don't think that little bottleneck is going to allow proper gas exchange....

S

spencers

When it comes to salt water, I am very careful about the fish I put in my tank. When it comes to a real fresh water tank I am also very careful about the fish I put in my tank. THIS however, is a joke! BUT! he is actually enjoying his new bottle tank, and you would be surprised how much room he actually does have to swim around in.

S

spencers

The lid is only on in the pic. Truth be told I am pretty evil sometimes when it comes to freshwater fish. I actually bought three neons today...one for this, and two to feed to my brother's oscars.
Sorry, if this offends any freshwater fish lovers. But! don't get me wrong either...I enjoy freshwater a lot myself. I even plan to do a natural 40gallon fresh in the soon future, but big fish eating little fish is natural and a good way to balance thier usually poor diet of flake.

bjoe23

Originally Posted by SpencerS
For a neon tetra?....not exactaly a tang here. Have you ever watched a neon tetra in like a 10gallon? all they do is sit in one place and twitch anyway. Freshwater fish are not nearly as sensitive to small spaces like swf. He has a lot of up and down room for his little size too + he is full grone. I can't believe I am trying to defend a $.99 fish!
it doesnt matter if its $.99 or $100, its cruelity to an animal. I have 8 of them in my 20 long and they swin all around. They would definatly rather a long tank rather than tall

S

spencers

fine bjoe, you have convinced me... I will put the cap on and set it on its side. Actually, I will feed him to my brother's oscar too. Problemed solved.

S

spencers

If it makes you feel better bjoe, one of my best friends saw the above pics on my myspace and said she is calling the ASPCA.

jennab

Don't feel so bad....I unfortunatly work with several PETA Freaks and they think I am Satin himself for keeping fish in an aquarium. No matter what you do you will always offend someone.

S

spencers

Well, I have decided my tetra does need a bigger bottle...so
Pom Tea anyone???

keri

Neons are schooling fish, what you're doing is wrong and stupid....but you know that.
I'd rather see him fed to the oscar, he's better off.

nyyankeees

If you want a fish in a small container like that get a betta. It is said they can live in areas as small as a mud puddle. That would be your best bet for this "experiment".