My Giant Maxima is SICK :(

meowzer

Well I have been out most of the day...when I left the Maxima was GREAT...open, both the inhalant siphon and the exhanlant siphon were as they should be
WELL....I get home and the clam looks awful....instead of one inhalant section....there are 3 openings I am adding some pics...not so great but hopefully you can see what I am talking about.....it's not good :( IDK what could have happened since this morning
What do I do???? The yellow tanga ns Sailfin seem to be nippng at it too
In this pic I think you can see the 3 openings

In this pic you see 2 openings and some retratcion on the right of the shell

In this pic you can see the opening on the left....and one to the right

scott t

Maybe that is what has happened to it, the Tangs have been nipping at it and stressing it out.. Wow you have some very adamant tangs there that seem to want to abuse clams..

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott T http:///forum/thread/382389/my-giant-maxima-is-sick#post_3336949
Maybe that is what has happened to it, the Tangs have been nipping at it and stressing it out.. Wow you have some very adamant tangs there that seem to want to abuse clams..
IDK Scott.....they have never gone near it at any other time that is that I was watching.....surely they didn't wait for me to go out on a Saturday...

Like I said.....It was perfect before I left

scott t

HMMM I dont know that is just totally weird. You would think also if they picked at when you were gone they would do it while you were are work also.. This is just crazy that all this stuff is only happening in the 225 gal.. Are you sure you do not have some hitch hiker in there that is causing you some issues? I know that you have had the tank set up for a long time, but have you added more LR recently and maybe something came in on it??

meowzer

NO, nothing new like that....
The other issue has resolved itself (YAY) As far as the clam goes, you would think it would close if something was bothering it

meowzer

OK...I took the net out cause I was scared to leave it in there (handle and all) And I replaced it with this netting
I will leave it there until it gets better...(HOPEFULLY) or someone suggests something different

scott t

Oh, Meowzer, I have been looking online to see if I could find anything, but I dunno seeing that I dont know what to really look for.. I really do hope that BTLD gets on soon so she can give you some advice. =/

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott T http:///forum/thread/382389/my-giant-maxima-is-sick#post_3337024
Oh, Meowzer, I have been looking online to see if I could find anything, but I dunno seeing that I dont know what to really look for.. I really do hope that BTLD gets on soon so she can give you some advice. =/
Thanks Scott...:) I have looked before and can not recall seeing something like this.....I am just gonna leave it covered until I hear something from btld....

scott t

I think that is the best you can do for now, I will keep my finger crossed and say prayers that it gets better for you..

meowzer

Thanks again Scott......one thing that you sould have figured out by now....especially with me....nothing is easy, and not everything is smooth sailing....BUT....we do what we can to fix things and make them better
:( This bites though

scott t

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/382389/my-giant-maxima-is-sick#post_3337034
Thanks again Scott......one thing that you sould have figured out by now....especially with me....nothing is easy, and not everything is smooth sailing....BUT....we do what we can to fix things and make them better
:( This bites though

Meower I am sure I am going to have my share of trials and tribulations with my tank when I get it set up also.. I have had my first with my QT with the SG.. but I am sure that I am going to have bigger ones.. I am just glad that I found this site and the people here that are willing to go the extra mile to help.. These bad things that happen only make us gain more knowledge on how to deal with things like this in the future..

btldreef

I'm so sorry it's taking me until now to get to this. I had a holiday party this evening.
That's one unhappy clam!
It really does look like it's being nipped at, is this the tank that also has the flame angel in it? I have found that my flame angel will nip at my clam every now and then. When I catch her, I chase her around my tank like mad with the net and that seems to make her stop for awhile until she gets up some courage again. That being said, you've had problems with the tangs and smaller clams, so it could very well be Ms. Sailfin making an attempt to pick this one up and take it for a ride as well. Remember what I just went though with my Sailfin. Ms. Coral Eating Sailfin took a trip to the LFS and is now in their fish only display tank before I couldn't deal with it anymore. I still think that she was the one who ate my last Maxima clam and I think you are experiencing the same thing with yours now. Why can't these darn fish just behave themselves?
I do think it can recover, BUT it won't if it continues to be irritated. Honestly, I don't like the way it looks right now, but not all hope is lost and I truly do believe it can heal. I know you moved the last one to a smaller tank, any way you can move this one as well?
The net is an okay solution for the moment, but either it needs to be removed from the tank, or what's bothering it does. Since you don't have an LFS down the street to give your naughty fish to, I think you're going to have to move this clam to a different tank. The net is only going to irritate it more.

bluebro

[strike]Is there such thing as a fish doctor? Cause I think you might need one. D: Be sure to moderate your fish and make sure it doesn't get more ill. :/[/strike]