My introduction

meowzer

YO....if your lfs is telling you it is ok to add this stuff....STOP going there

You star is gonna starve first of all.....an anemone in a new tank...10G at that...is a death wish (for the anemone)

S

smartorl

This lfs saw you coming and is taking advantage of you. Sorry, but it's true. That sand sifter doesn't have anything to eat in such a new tank. If you wanted a star, I mean really wanted a star, I would have gone with a serpent, you could have hand fed it, this sandsifter is doomed.

I wouldn't put an anemone in any tank less than a year old regardless of size. With that being said, while it could be done in a ten gallon, it would be difficult. You would have to monitor your water parameters very closely and stay on top of water changes. Smaller tanks are harder to stabilize and with a nem, that could spell disaster before you even realized there was an issue. They are super sensitive to less than perfect water quality. In a ten gallon, something as small as having a snail die could cause the nem to crash. They also require super high light requirements.

Clowns don't need a nem to host to be happy. Most clowns are tank raised and people have to "train" them to host, and sometimes they just won't no matter what. Clowns who want to host will just as easily host a coral.

monsinour

Just a question for my own knowledge here :

Would "marine snow" assist the sand sifting star in its quest to stay alive? Would "marine snow" also assist the anemone to stay alive as well?

S

smartorl

Just my two cents but for enough marine snow to be in the tank to saturate the sand bed, you would run the risk of crashing the tank.

As far as the nem, they eat meaty foods but still require high lights, I have halides, to survive. For them, it's more about the stability of the tank, which is why established is recomended.

nizz

I understand that. I do plan on feeding it meaty foods as that is what I am feeding my star every other day because the tank is still new.
I am thinking it over while searching and taking in everybodies opinions. The tank is doing pretty good still and don't want it to crash because of a newb mistake.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizz http:///forum/thread/380219/my-introduction/120#post_3313156
I understand that. I do plan on feeding it meaty foods as that is what I am feeding my star every other day because the tank is still new.
I am thinking it over while searching and taking in everybodies opinions. The tank is doing pretty good still and don't want it to crash because of a newb mistake.

I'm not trying to be mean, I have been following along......but the issue isn't really food. Your tank is just too new for critters like starfish or anemones. Your tank doesn't have to crash to kill them. I'm not very good at technical stuff....For the first year that a tank is up and running there are stags to deveopment as it becomes a mature tank..these critters are to delicate to handle those stages.

btldreef

Ok, you're making so newb mistakes, but they're reversable.
with the starfish:
Firstly, they don't belong in tanks less than a year old or less than 90G. This is due to the necessary fauna that is found in sand beds of established tanks. Sand Sifting Starfish are carnivores who eat all the GOOD fauna out of an established sand bed. In a 10G tank, or even a 50G tank, they can deplete a sand bed in a matter of weeks. It is amazing to really see how much these guys can eat. Once your sand bed is depleted, it is of no value to the tank. It does not help filter anything and can actual start having ill effects on your tank and become a nitrate producing factory. Yes, it is possible to feed them, I've fed my two for years. However, in a 10G tank, you will never be able to feed them enough to keep them from eating your sand bed. I have two in my 155, and I can barely feed them enough to keep them from munching down on all the good stuff in the sand. I have to reseed my sand fairly often. I'm actually getting rid of my two today because I'm tired of the work involved in keeping them.

the anemone:
Anemones are 90% water. New tanks, being very unstable are a very dangerous environment for an anemone. It's basically the same thing as if you were exposed to non-stop smog filled are for a few months, it would have an ill effect on your body. Although some people have had luck placing an anemone in a young tank (I am guilty of this myself), it is really frowned upon and we advise not to do it, especially if you're new to the saltwater hobby. Water parameters can change at the drop of a dime, especially in a new tank. The slightest bit of change in water quality can kill an anemone, and in new tanks, when there's a change, it usually isn't so slight. Small tanks added to the picture create even more of an issue. Water quality is very difficult in a small tank. Isn't this the reason you decided to start with the smaller tank? Adding a small tank size and the fact that it's new will more than likely create a slow death for the anemone. IF the anemone does die in your tank, you'll have one heck of a mess on your hands. Feeding the anemone really won't make a difference if the water quality is good and stable. Although, I do commend you for knowing that they need to be fed.

If you feel that it's time to add critters to your tank, I would add your clean up crew and a fish (or two if you plan on doing a pair of clowns). Watch water parameters for a minimum of 2 weeks and make adjustments accordingly. You may find that you need more of a clean up crew, or that it's just the right number. If I'm remembering correctly, your plan was to just do a pair of clownfish in this tank, right? You can still do a small goby or other small nano fish, especially if your plan is to EVENTUALLY get an anemone for the clowns. The clowns do NOT need one, by the way, and there is no guarantee that they'll take to it. My clowns did not have an anemone for the first 6 months that I had them and they did just fine.

nizz

Thanks guys. I know you guys have repeated the fact that clowns don't need anemone. I completely understand that. I will just add the clowns next week and watch to see how the tank reacts with the increase in bio load. So, I won't just add the anemone with clown. Which I think on top the tank being premature. But, swing the levels in the tank because of it. I will still keep a close eye to the star and keep feeding it every other day. If it's a problem, I can just return it. Not to big of a deal.

the fauna in the sand act as a filter to .... and if you have something eating it then well you have a dead filter than is just going to cause problems in the tank .... thats why bldt has to receed his tankl so that it stays a live

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizz http:///forum/thread/380219/my-introduction/120#post_3313200
Thanks guys. I know you guys have repeated the fact that clowns don't need anemone. I completely understand that. I will just add the clowns next week and watch to see how the tank reacts with the increase in bio load. So, I won't just add the anemone with clown. Which I think on top the tank being premature. But, swing the levels in the tank because of it. I will still keep a close eye to the star and keep feeding it every other day. If it's a problem, I can just return it. Not to big of a deal.
The starfish is actually a worse choice than the anemone in some ways.
You have a new tank and your sand is just starting to seed from the live rock. By having the stafish in there, it will eat out anything that might try to seed into the sand, leaving you with a barren sand bed that can turn into a nitrate producing factory. You'll never be able to feed them enough that they won't eat from your sand bed. They are scavengers, it's what they do. By the time you notice a sand sifting starfish having an issue with health, it's too late and they will perish.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernestpolska http:///forum/thread/380219/my-introduction/120#post_3313226
the fauna in the sand act as a filter to .... and if you have something eating it then well you have a dead filter than is just going to cause problems in the tank .... thats why bldt has to receed his tankl so that it stays a live
HER tank, lol

Anyways, I actually have a large enough sand bed and enough live rock that I don't have to seed, I just do as a precautionary measure. I actually reseed my sand bed just for the dieoff of some beneficial fauna that occurs over the years. It's recommended that you reseed your tank once a year regardless of what you have in it, it keeps the tank from having what is known as "Old Tank Syndrome." My tank is also a 155G and a good 50lbs of sand came out of a very mature tank when I started this one up. My sand sifting stars have been unable to deplete my sand bed or even really make a dent in it, even if I wasn't reseeding. They are trained to eat when they fish eat. This being said, in a 10G, even if they were being fed, there's just not enough sand for them. Even though my sand sifting stars are trained to eat when the fish are fed, I'm sure that they still snack here and there in the sand bed, and a 10G just can't hold enough sand to let them "snack."

***Because my stars are trained to eat, if you can truly even call it training, they rarely go into the sand bed, this saves me a lot. If your stars are going under the sand, they're eating, and therefore depleteing the sand bed of any beneficial fauna that is there.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by levinjac http:///forum/thread/380219/my-introduction/120#post_3313237
dude btld is a girl
LOL, you only know that because I yelled at you once for it too, hahaha

BTLDreef is actually female AND male depending who's on. My husband does occasionally use this username, but he'll sign his name at the bottom of the post when he does, it's usually me, and I am most definitely a girl, LOL. I thought that by adding my actual name under my username people would start to realize that, but my name being half a boys name doesn't make it easy.