my latest fish food

mr_x

i made some food tonight, which i'll be feeding to my fish and corals, for the next few months. the cost was approximately 7 dollars give or take. the whole process took about 10 minutes.
i can guarantee that this food is 100 X better for your tank. it doesn't even smell.
ok. the first photo shows what is absolutely necessary for this process to be a success. the fresh food and Aventinus, made by G. Schneider & Sohn. by far, the best beer on the planet.

secondly, i'm going to add some thawed and strained frozen formula a, and some thawed cyclo-peeze to the mix

i'll use this cheapo processor, but i recommend going out and purchasing a better, larger model.

the foods are out, and i'm going to remove the skin from the fresh shrimp and the halibut i chose for this mix

meanwhile, i'll be thawing the formula A over the sink

i squeezed out the formula A and will toss it in the blender with the cyclo-peeze and everything else

then get it all into a large ziplock, and use a rolling pin or similar to roll it flat

and the end result is a perfectly fresh, free of garbage water and stinky rotting fish, food. this food will not only smell good, it will feed everything in the tank. you can also add some nori to it for the herbivores. you can add basically anything you want. just stay away fro the fattier fishes like salmon or tuna.
you can feed this to fish and lps. they love it!

mr_x

germany, but you can find it here at large distributors and specialty stores.

big

Thanks for the Rolling Pin idea Mr.X, I always PO ed the wife by using her Blender!!

mr_x

Originally Posted by FaTcAt
http:///forum/post/2824821
Is it anything like Becks? I was thoroughly disappointed with that beer.
nooo! if i could describe it, i would calll it a very smooth, strong, sweet, milkshake!

perfectdark

X, except for the formula A, I substituted some nori, and another green algae sheet, some mysis, selcon and garlic I basically made the same stuff you did. I agree it works awesome, however I have a much smaller tank. My food will get thrown away before it gets used because it I feel it sits in my freezer too long. But at $5.00 a batch you cant beat it.

mr_x

yeah..i had some misis in the freezer, but when i pullled it out, it stunk pretty bad. i decided not to add it.
i've read mixed reviews on the addition of garlic. it seems that the main reason it's added is to make the food more attractive to finiky(sp?) eaters. all of my fish have voracious appetites.
i do use this food up pretty fast. i feed daily and the corals atleast weekly. the main reason i made this stuff is because when i added the storebought frozen foods to my tank, the skimmer would go crazy.
i feel like i might as well dump skimmate into the tank, than more of that food.
when i add my mixture to the tank, everything goes well.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by Mr_X
http:///forum/post/2824984
yeah..i had some misis in the freezer, but when i pullled it out, it stunk pretty bad. i decided not to add it.
i've read mixed reviews on the addition of garlic. it seems that the main reason it's added is to make the food more attractive to finiky(sp?) eaters. all of my fish have voracious appetites.
i do use this food up pretty fast. i feed daily and the corals atleast weekly. the main reason i made this stuff is because when i added the storebought frozen foods to my tank, the skimmer would go crazy.
i feel like i might as well dump skimmate into the tank, than more of that food.
when i add my mixture to the tank, everything goes well.
Yea I agree the garlic I added was to just entice the fish to eat not for any other reason. Occasionally I feed formula 1 frozen but its just for diversity and its not often at all. I hate gel binders...

mr_x

the beer is for you to drink while you are enjoying the fish food making process.
the ingredients are:
fresh squid tubes
scallops
clams
a white fish (i chose haddock this time)
shrimp
i also added formula A, for the extra nutrients, along with soem frozen cyclo-peeze.
these ingredients aren't set in stone. you can add anything you want really. just don't add any really fatty, oily fish.
like perfect dark mentioned, misis shrimp is a good addition. just make sure they are thawed and drained, and perhaps rinsed too. that water they are frozen in is some nasty stuff.

m0nk

I use a very similar mix to this (though haven't tried the white fish), but go the route PD does and use algae sheets, mysis, and cyclopeeze in place of Formula A.

I also haven't had any beer during the processing either, though I'll have to try that next time.

ophthos

My wife kicked me out of the kitchen when I was making my own beer, wait till she sees this. I might be out of the house.

ledzep fan

Very nice job! I have a few questions though,
When I unfreeze a piece of shrimp for my Snowflake eel, i just run it under some hot water. Do you forsee a problem by doing this?
When you unfreeze your homemade food, do you let it sit in glass/ cup of aquarium water until it unfreezes?
Where do you buy your cyclopleeze?
Thanks,
Rich

mr_x

i just put my hand in the water with a frozen piece and as it thaws, it falls into pieces in the tank for the fish. for corals, i break off a piece and put it into my feeding syringe, and then suck up some tank water, and let the syringe sit for a minute or two. it's thawed by then.
i buy my cyclop-eeze at a local store. i imagine you can purchase it online somewhere. i just did a search and found multiple online vendors.