My LFS has SEVEN different types of Live Rock...

yourpalcm

My LFS has SEVEN different types of Live Rock...
* Tonga Branch
* Kaelini
* Tonga Slab
* Cultured Fiji
* Cured Tonga
* Nano Rubble Rock
* Solomon Island
Is there a major difference between any of them (besides the fact that they look a little different)? Is one "better" than another?
(FWIW, I'm setting up a 75g FOWLR tank.)

dc2mlbsm

i think, IMO, that the differences r looks and creatures they have in them.....thats just my opinion thought

efishnsea

Yea, colors, creatures and surface texture. I like fiji because its light weight compared to most and is very porous. That allows for millions and millions of benificial bacteria to have a home.

xdave

Unlike the rest of the list, the cultured Fiji is not strip mined natural resources. If better means one isn't responsible for destroying our planets reefs, than yep, the cultured Fiji is definately better.

efishnsea

Originally Posted by xDave
Unlike the rest of the list, the cultured Fiji is not strip mined natural resources. If better means one isn't responsible for destroying our planets reefs, than yep, the cultured Fiji is definately better.
Yea xDave I read about that in my Reef Aquarium Book by Sprung, very cool how they make that rock????And like you said it saves the reefs

xdave

That actually started in Florida shortly after the banned collecting it. The best LR I ever saw was from the Gulf of Mexico.
This is 30lb of the $3/lb stuff after 1 month in the aquarium. (not the Christmas treerock, also cultured)