My life is ruined.....

chandler04

JK!!!!!!! Made ya look!!!! LOL, I knew noone would look if I posted a Q-Tip sponge question, but here it is. I have had one SERIOUS problem with Qtip sponges. Like, not terribly bad, but they are EVERYWHERE. What I want to know is this: will a dwarf angel still eat sponge? I know regular angels like to eat sponge, in fact it is a big part of their diet. BUT, i need a smaller fish for my 55 gallon. ANY fish tat will fit in there that will eat sponge would help. Im thinking that a butterfly might eat it too, but im not positive. In the end, my fish will be a harlequin tusk, volitan lion, lmb, maybe an eel, plus whichever fish I get right here. May seem like a load, but I have one serious filtration system on this thing, plus a nice skimmer.

Thats a lot of fish for your tanks...whichever one your gonna put them into. You got any pics of these so called q-tip sponges??? i think i kow what you are talkon about and i has a SERIOUS prob with them, eventully they just went away, how long has your tank been set up???

chandler04

since december. I have them everywhere, and I now have feather dusters growing, and little clothlike strands that appear every now and then and float around the tank, plus little jelly things on certain pieces of rocks.

btw the little feather duster you say are now growing might be aspita....however you spell it, they look like feather dusters but they sting fish, corals, ans anything that gets too close, kinda like a fish tanks weed. make sure thats not what it is

chandler04

Well, I took a pic. So THAT is wat that stringy stuff is? Well, Im getting a fish to get rid of em anyway, I just need to know if a butterfly or even a dwarf angel will eat em?

chandler04

And could someone PLEASE id these things? The red thing breathes or pulses or sumthing, and is curled up, but is hard as well. And the globby thing closes and i bleieve it is from the cnidaria family. These are all growing on pieces of rock just like the one shown. I have a couple. They all grow on the ends. AMybe it is coming back to life?

chandler04

Wel, here is the problem. They arent going away. They are mulitplying to the TENTH DEGREE. THey are EVERYWEHRE! In the wet dry, in the overlfow, on the heat, on all the pumps, on the glass, in the rocks. EVERYWHERE!! And some are growing in HUGE clusters. Besides, I want to get a butterfly anyway, and if itll eat it, then that is a plus.

marvida

Those guys are usually a sign that the tank is maturing & that things are OK. As was mentioned, they don't like light. They seem to more or less go away but generaly will be in dark spaces in the rock work etc. Don't sweat it, it's all good!

chandler04

I know it is good and all, but they are ticking me off, lol. I like the fact that I have a healthy tank, but they are growing on the glass, right below the lights, which are 65 watts each. Hey dustin, wat corals can I put in there if i want them?

marvida

Your lighting explains the sponges. To put it in perspective, I have 249 watts of PC's on my 29. I agree with watching out on ---- for good deals.