my lighting question(s)

jchmiel

I have a compact fluorescent fixture with one regular bulb and one actinic both 96 watts. So does that mean I have effectivley 192 watts of light? Does the actinic bulb get rated lower cause of the tinting? What can grow well under this lighting? I have them on the plastic risers that lifts them about 4 inches above the water level, should they be closer (I dont have anything that needs the bright lights at the moment). Also I see the people fragging stuff and there pics show a bright blue light is that just actinic compacts, if so how many? should I go with metal halide, if so what kind and should I nix the compacts or run both? I dont have anymore money (till later), what should I do? 40 gal tank 19" X 12" X 36" btw
Thank You

fedukeford

Yes , it means you have 192 watss of light, the actinic bulb dosent get a lower rating. You can keep most softies under your lighting. Sometimes when you see tanks with just blue lights, its people trying to do a dusk/dawn affect, and its normally when the just have their actinics on. If you have money to get Metal Halides, then get 2 150 watters, and still run the Power compacts, but change both to actinic bulbs, and use 10,000 k metal halides.
Feduke