My Morish

shawnts106

Hellooo again to all you great people... let me first say. .Mola I think it was, great poem.. maybe you should go into the business :) anyway!
Well I just came back home... Im doing a drip acclimation on the Morish Idol, and its been running for 31 minutes and 28 seconds :)... hehehe
This guy is NOT AT ALL a medium... its a small to me.. possibly a small medium.. so this is even better.. the smaller they are the better chance they are to get to eat since they dont have a life partner I do believe!
anyway.. this little fish is just crazy active... very active, very vibrant... very beautiful.. it even has a long dorsal fin (top fin?) anyway... very nice and very active... hes just chilling in the bucket now.. ive got him in a black bucket so hes calm... when I first started to put him in he just LEAPED out of the water.. it was crazy!
So I hope he will be fine! I think hes going to make it.. or at the least have ALOT of hope that he will!!!
I did a final check on everything in the tank this morning to make sure it was completly ready for a fish.. (for a very sensitive fish)... besides from a little low pH, from adding water.. the tank was fine and everything (thank you.. EVEN ALK! HAHA) was just were it needs to be!... perfect quality... :) or at least.. as good as it gets LOL!!!
hes just absolutly wonderful looking, perfect condition! I have taken pictures so far.. and as soon as he is in the tank Will post these.. and tomorow try and get a few of him in the tank.. I dont want to be flashing him like crazy.. so Ill use the off flash for now..
the neat thing about this one.. is he has some BLUE on the last "color band" of his tail... I didnt know they had blue on them... I have not seen pictures of this.. so its possible they are a different color when juvies? or just from different parts of the world????
quite interesting!
here is a picture of one I found on the internet... isnt it just gorgeous !:)

shawnts106

Ok its in the tank.. swimming around acting very unstressed... the fish are COMPLETLY avoiding him!!! its sooo funny, they are scared to DEATH!.. even the YT damsels are scared..so thats GREAT that no on e is bullying up on him!!!
so here are some pictures for you guys!!! :)
OH... hes been in there for about 25 minutes now.. and hes already started to pick at LR...!!!!!!!!! :) soooo excited... seems to be acclimating well... what would you say as far as acclimation?

shawnts106

And just a little bit of extra for ya today!... My green Goniopora and all its beauty.. :)
sorry, just have to show off! :)

ross

Good luck with him. If you get him to eat, feed him lots! At least 2 or 3 times a day! They love nori and live clams!

ross

Wow he looks good, thats awesome to hear hes picking off the live rock. He sounds like he is doing great! Keep me posted on this guy.

jlem

You actually still got the fish. WOW :help: :needhelp: :notsure: :thinking: talk about disregarding what everybody and their brother told you. Please let us now how the fish does, even if it dies.

kbaz

Good for you! Glad to hear the fish is doing well...I truely think you will do your best to keep him happy...and I hope he responds well.

E

exile415

good luck !!!! you dont have any sand ? didnt see any in the pic

shawnts106

Hello everyone.. Hes been in the tank now for about 2 hours.. and has already started to pick on the LR more than before... hes ate a fireworm that he saw squirming by too! so IM SOOO EXCITED hes even just picking on it!!!!.. I have put Clams and Ocean Plankton from Aqua Yums and Hikarii in the tank using a clam shell and some fishing line to secure it... hes acted interested and looked at it several times.. but hasnt yet picked.. but I didnt expect him to on the first 2 hours being in the tank!!!!
So far hes getting along with everyone.. no fusses as of yet besides the yellow tang making 1 pass at him.. but didnt really attack him.. the secnond I see the YT attack him.. hes going in the fuge!!!
both the dwarf Angels are just like.. huh? what on EARTH IS THAT THING!.. so they wont go near him.. and you know how they like to turn quick... the dwarf FREAK when he turns LOL its halarious!!!!
Im just so pleased to already have him picking at the LR now!!!
Yes I do have sand... about 4 inches worth!.. fine grade mixed with CC.. the larger bits...
Awesome! Can I ask how much he cost?
Sure.. I can get them for about 40$ for a Medium.. mine is a Sm/Med.. so the price is right around there.. but since I work for my LFS.. or one of the 3!!! then I get him for less! which is good.. but even if I didnt get the discount.. I would still get one!
Yes I did get one even though everyone advised not too.. I have stated my opinion on this subject and do not intend to get into it anymore...
I decided on getting on because of alot of research that I have done .. I have researched this ONE fish every since I got into this hobby.. only untill now HEAVILY researched it.... I have ALWAYS wanted to try one... but have always been scared to.... because of the horror storys around this species... anyway... What I did was get the BEST POSSIBLE CANDIDATE FOR SURVIVAL.. a hawaiian speices that is young ( between 2.5 and 4.5 inches) these are the two factors that I have found to be the most promising... Also water quality I found throught his board and others and also books and sites is a biggy for these fish.. so I really didnt have to do anything with that except keep a better watch on my ALK and thats about it... my water quality is superb... now! haha
I do NOT NOT NOT recommed this fish to anyone... so just cause I went and got one doesnt meen you should... as stated before time and time again.. these fish are NOT for the amature hobbiest.. and ONLY expert Aquarists should attempt to keep and house this fish... I consider myself to be somewhat of an expert having had a SW REEF TANK for 9 years now... I have learned much.. and STILL have MUCH TO LEARN about this hobby... but after nearly 10 years of doing this sucessfully I decided to try 1.... not a huge massive sin or horible horible decision.. but more of a huge decision, a huge responsible dedicated decision for ME ... I meen, its not like I dont know what Im doing, its not like im sticking it in a goldfish bowl.. or more realistically, a 3 month old 29gallon tank with 50 yt damsels in it... I am being resonsible.. and I will continue to... I plan on feeding it as much as possible, varried foods, I have tried to house it in the best environment I possibly can.. BTW: I removed the YELLOW TANG from the tank because he decided to get a little too friendly!... I have great water quailty (reef quality), I do have natural foods, like scuds, fireworms, sponges... which he has picked at! :), and algae.... also numberous corals I am willing to part with if so be it!... as long as he doesnt try and eat my Gonis and Alves! hahaha.. just kidding!!!! I went out and bought a ton of different kinds of foods to feed just that fish!.. I have prepared foods for him already.... and am checking my water quality religously now LOL!
I believe in my heart that I have given this fish the BEST POSSIBLE ENVIRONMENT THAT I CAN GIVE IT!!!! a well matured tank with lots of live rock and natural fauna with superb water quality.. this increases its chances of survival quite a bit! :)
no a 75 gallon isnt the BEST, but its good.. not great.. but good!
Good luck with him. If you get him to eat, feed him lots! At least 2 or 3 times a day! They love nori and live clams!
Thanks for the info.. LIVE CLAMS??? where do you get this at? I have a derasa in there now.. but he shows no interest in it... Could I go to the local seafood market and get some oysters or something and crack them open.. or something??? how could he eat a live closed clam... it would have to be opened right??
thanks for the info!
Please let us now how the fish does, even if it dies.
Of course, youll be getting updates daily if not several times daily from me!!! :)

f1shman

I'm very happy for you and I hope your moorish idol breaks the stereotype and lives for like... 50 years :notsure: lol. Anyways I just have to say one thing, I've noticed from moderators on this website taht they still consider themselves a newb, but you, you consider yourself an expert. Don't mean to be critical just pointing out something I observed. Anyways good luck and I can't wait to read the daily updates!!

hot883

Congrats Shawn on your decision. I've had M.I.'s before and they are so very graceful and truly wonderful. I lived in Hawaii so mine was FRESH. Ha! I have all the confidence in your ability to respectfully care for this fish properly with all the research thats been done. Good luck to you and please keep us posted.

shawnts106

HOT883.. you said you HAD, how long and how many did you go through? please explain
Hey, thanks for pointing out the moderators are concidering themselves newbies... how modest and honorable of them...

If they are moderators I believe they are FAR from newbies.. or they are and just extremely unexperienced and dont bother to research and talk to people who have done this for years.. and also talk to marine scientists!... I belive all the moderators are very experienced knowledgeable advanced expert aquarists.. nothing less!
:)

fishieness

i dont think it is modest at all. in a hobby like this, there is literaly too much to learn. there are still so many things about the ocean that are unknown to us even with all of the reserch being done around the world. With all this, i dont know if it is wise to call anyone an "expert" in the field.
sure the mods are very experienced and a hell of a lot smarter than i will be years to come, but there is still so much to know
and i know exactly what you are saying f1shman;-)

fishkiller

Oh and if you don't wanna fry is little butt, get the seaweed, wusabe, and rice...oh yeah, and soy sauce.... Is that right? I don't really eat fish... :notsure: